none
# of files don't match RRS feed

• Question

• I've got 4 folders of pictures that I've been trying to sync (1 in use and 1 for backup for each, laptop and desk, 4 folders) anyway I let these get away from me for quite a while but now I'm trying to sync them and I setup several folder pairs to make sure that after 1 round each should have the same pictures in each. Well according to the number of files it didn't work that way, so to make sure I ran a couple of rotations. It doesn't seem to matter what I do the number of files don't want to match up! as you can see in this image: http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/923/nooffiles.jpg I'm pretty sure they're synced because I can't see any differences after looking for quite a while, but I am talking about 7Gb of pics and a difference of only 39 files out of 10k but I just have to wonder why the numbers don't and won't match no matter what I do. The synctoy dat files in the folders are only 16 bytes and only a difference of 1 or 2 of them per sync. SOoo?

TIA
    JW
    Monday, December 21, 2009 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi JAW53,

Thanks for trying SyncToy and reporting your issue!

SyncToy is designed to ignore some kinds of system files, i.e. “desktop.ini” and “thumbs.db”. So maybe the file number difference was caused by these ignored files. Would you like to help us confirm this, please? You can search those 2 kinds of files between the 2 folders in file explorer, and compare the number diff. Please notice these files are system and hidden files. So you need to set folder options to let them appear, before you search them.

If there are other files were missing, that would be an unexpected behavior. Then we will need your additional help for more details to investigation.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Ping Lu Friday, December 25, 2009 2:45 AM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:29 AM
  • OK I went in and did a search and calced the diffs and here is what I came up with:

Files in \\Share\JW's
    Desktop.ini 3
    thumbs.db 122
    difference--10075

Files in I:\my pics
    desktop.ini 3
    thumbs.db 81
    difference--10079

Files in J:\~\pics
    desktop.ini 3
    thumbs.db 119
    difference--10075

Files in D:\Pics
    desktop.ini 3
    thumbs.db 119
    difference--10040

I can do another round of syncs if you'ld like, give me a sequence to follow and I'll do that the drives are as you can tell are: D, J, I, and the NAS \\Share.

John
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Thank you very much for doing so much work to collect information. That helps a lot.

Excuse me, I have just realized you are trying to sync among 4 folders at the same time (I thought you were syncing 2 isolated folder pairs). Syncing among 3 or more folders is much different from the condition when syncing between 2 folders.

There are 2 big points when you sync among 3 folders or more:

First, the “SyncToy_*.dat” files which are located and used by SyncToy in the root of each sync folder, and marked as hidden and system. If a sync folder is included in N folder pairs there should be N “SyncToy_*.dat” files in the root.
    For instance, there is one folder pair between A and B folder (saying A – B for short), and another folder pair B – C, the B folder is expected to have 2 “SyncToy_*.dat” files (which is more than the number of the other 2 folders by 1). SyncToy will ignore these dat files, too. So this will be another expected reason which causes file number difference after syncing.

Second, you will need to sync multi-times to make sure change in any folder has been passed into any other folder, if you are syncing among more than 2 folders.  
    For instance, there are folder pairs A – B and B – C. After you sync A – B, A and B both know the change of each other, but none of them know the change of C. Then after syncing B – C, both B and C know the change of each other, and C knows A’s change through B. But for now A has no way to know C’s change. Thus file number of A might be different from B or C, until you sync A – B once again to let A know the changes in C.
    For 4 folders, you may need to sync 3 times (4-1=3), it depends on how you create your folder pairs.

Thus I hope you can share out all the folder pairs you created in SyncToy that involve these folders (e.g. “I” – “J” could be a folder pair you had created, providing the name of left folder and right folder in each folder pair will enough). Then we can analyse the your problem basing on the new facts.

Thanks

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:05 AM
  • As a matter of preference I always have my system files shown so the .dat files would not be hidden from me. Also I may not be getting back to you right away because for some reason this system is not alerting me when you reply and I've checked my e-mail address and it's correct also the "alert me" box is checked, but I'll deal with that at another time just understand if I don't get right back to you.

If you'll notice in my first post after syncing drives I mixed them up and did several rotations. For instance after synchronizing drives 1 & 2 then 3 & 4 I would then synchronize say 1 & 4 and then 2 & 3 then go back and do 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 and I did that sequence at least three maybe four times. If you want to come up with the sequencing scheme I'll try that and get back to you with the results.

Till then,
    John W.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 1:10 AM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your patience. It is my responsibility to locate the issue and improve SyncToy, so I will always pay attention to this thread until your issues are resolved. And you are always welcome. Your information are helping us.

So you had already run enough sync sessions to let the sync folders know the change from each other. Thus the file numbers, excluding the ignored “desktop.ini”, “thumbs.db” and “SyncToy_*.dat” files, should be the same among your sync folders. Would you mind verify the file numbers, without the ignored files of course, again, please? (Especially the “thumbs.db” number of your “D” folder)

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Friday, December 25, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Hi John -

Use "robocopy source dest /s /l " to figure out what are the missing files. This will give you a complete list of the missing files to help figure out why these the couts are not equivalent.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your patience. It is my responsibility to locate the issue and improve SyncToy, so I will always pay attention to this thread until your issues are resolved. And you are always welcome. Your information are helping us.

So you had already run enough sync sessions to let the sync folders know the change from each other. Thus the file numbers, excluding the ignored “desktop.ini”, “thumbs.db” and “SyncToy_*.dat” files, should be the same among your sync folders. Would you mind verify the file numbers, without the ignored files of course, again, please? (Especially the “thumbs.db” number of your “D” folder)

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Hey JiGuang,

Everything seems to be pretty much working out except for the D folder. For some reason when I do the "SyncToy_*.dat" search on it they don't show up even though there is 3 in there. Anyway after subtracting all they ignored files it is still 5 off. here is a link to a picture of the resulting properties dialogue boxes: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1645/properties.jpgI ran the rotation a couple ot times so everything should match, it's 'D' that doesn't want to add up for some reason. It would be nice if your program would take in account those hidden files so the numbers would all match and not create that question in the users mind in the fist place. OK so anyway take a look at that and tell me what you think. Also in case Deepa doesn't reply back take a look at my answer to his post.

Thanks,
    John

ASUS P6T, I7 320 proc @ 3.5Ghz, 12Gb DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA PNY GTX 275, 4/500Gb WD SATA Drvs. internal, 1.5Tb Sata Drv. Ext.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Hi John -

Use "robocopy source dest /s /l " to figure out what are the missing files. This will give you a complete list of the missing files to help figure out why these the couts are not equivalent.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)

Deepa,

I'm not familiar with that command. Is that command line command or what?

ASUS P6T, I7 320 proc @ 3.5Ghz, 12Gb DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA PNY GTX 275, 4/500Gb WD SATA Drvs. internal, 1.5Tb Sata Drv. Ext.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Hi John,

I have no idea yet! But Deepa has provided us a good method to detect which files were missed.

“robocopy” is a tool that helps copy file between folders. You can consider it as an enhanced “xcopy”. “robocopy” can work under cmd line. Windows Vista and Windows 7 contain this tool so you can use robocopy directly as a cmd line command on these 2 OS. And you can download and use them on other Windows systems. 

Robocopy works fine if you want to occasionally copy files from one place to another. SyncToy, on the other hand, is good at syncing certain folder pairs frequently.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:01 AM
  • JiGuang,

I apologize but I fail to see how that would show us the difference in files between the folders. The /s command is just for copying subfolders and the /l command is just for making a list of the files. I can see all that just looking at the original folders. If there was some command to compare 2 folders and then list their differences now that would be perfect. If I recall correctly there is a linux command that does that. The reason I bring that up is because there are a lot of commands in powershell that are similar in their function and am wondering if you might be familiar with such a command. If not I'm just going to move on with the conclusion that all necessary files are being copied and the difference in the numbers are not of consequence. In the meantime I really appreciate your efforts.

Sincerely,
    John W

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Hi John,

I think “robocopy /s /l” can help us.
    Like SyncToy, robocopy also compares between source and destination folders before copying any files, so that it can avoid duplicated copying (One difference is that SyncToy can reuse the comparison result from last sync session). So “/l” indicates robocopy to list only the files it would like to copy (i.e. the files contained in source folder but not in destination folder). This will tell us which files have not been copied by SyncToy.

I am not familiar with Linux command so I cannot give you any help on that platform. And for Windows, there is another tool named WinDiff you can try, which is specially used to compare files and folders.

Thanks

Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:04 AM
  • You can add me to the list of people having problems with missing some files.

I've enjoyed using SyncToy 2.0 (and now 2.1) for quite awhile now, thinking everything was cool.  I noticed a post on Mediasmartserver.net about problems with SyncToy 2.0/2.1 that didn't exist in v.1.4, at least with respect to syncing to Windows Home Server shares.

So yesterday I had a batch of files I needed to migrate from one Windows Home Server to another.  67,602 files using 83GB to be exact.  It appears that SyncToy 2.1 missed 278 of them.  thumbs.db, desktop.ini and SyncToy_*.dat only account for 153 files, leaving around 125 files unaccounted-for.

Before I thought to check exactly which files were missing I ran RichCopy and now the sizes and file counts match exactly.

So, the word on the street is to avoid SyncToy 2.0/2.1 and use SyncToy 1.4 if you can find it.

Here's more details:
    SyncToy installed on Dell desktop, Intel x38 chipset, W7 x64 Ultimate.
    First sync partnership for this folder share was set up and run in "Sync" mode (per suggestion in Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncToy

I tried subsequent runs in Echo and Contribute but file counts remained (wrongly) the same.

Any news or ideas?
    Tom
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:54 PM