need replacement cd RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dell dimension 2400 that i got off a guy from craigslist. He had installed Crashbang linux on it but i would like window XP home back on it. It still has the COA sticker on it and I can provide and number or key you would like to prove it is legal. How can I get a copy for free or almost free? I have checked the dell site and they only have the replacement CD option for the us only.

Thanks Bill
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hello billyboy1995,

If you can't get the Dell recovery CD from Dell, you have a couple of options.

1.  Ask your friends with Dells if you can borrow a real Dell Operating System reinstallation disc.  The ones for XP Home Ediiton should be a sort of burgundy color silkscreening.  Any service pack level will work since you are not repairing an existing Windows installation, but are nuking what's on the computer now.

2.  If no joy on the Dell XP Home disc, ask your friends that have locally built or self built computers if they have the genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP Home installation CD.  (Under no circumstances should you use a copied, downloaded iso, or torrent copy of a Windows installation CD---almost guaranteed to get malware that way!!)  If their locally built/home built computer has a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for XP Home on it, and the second line of the CoA does not have a computer manufacturer's name on it (instead would have "OEM Product" or "OEM software" on it), then their disc can be used.  Install XP Home from this disc but use the Product Key printed on the CoA affixed to your Dell.  That catch is that after installation, you have to activate by telephone--you cannot activate automatically online.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:12 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:49 PM