Installing Windows XP Professional Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

•  

I originally posted that we purchased a PC with Windows XP (it originally had Windows 2003 Pro). I discovered it has a VL version of XP. So I purchased a Windows XP Pro Upgrade kit. Before I open the box I need to know if I have to do anything special to the current version of XP (i.e. uninstall it??) before I can install the genuine version of XP?

Thanks very much for your input.

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hello CN3,

We are glad to hear you received the Windows Genuine Kit. You have a great question, Do I need to know if I have to do anything special to the current version of XP(i.e. uninstall it??) Well CN I say lets totally blast out the non-genuine installation.  How is that? The following website will provide and answer all your installation questions and then some. Please open the following site: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx .  Please click on Install Windows XP. Please begin  your review process here. There is a checklist you should follow prior beginning the installation. A very import task is backing up all your data, pictures, favorites and/or whatever is important. The installation process will wipe out all files. This should get you up and running.  Take care :-) and have a super weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:16 AM
  • CN3,

A Windows XP Upgrade Kit that comes in a box will be the retail upgrade package for XP.

In order to install an upgrade license for XP, on the computer to be upgraded you first must have a genuine installation of a qualifying upgradable Windows OS, or you must have access to a genuine CD for a qualifying upgradable Windows OS and will be instructed to insert the CD during the first phas of XP Setup.

Please note that a nongenuine installation of XP DOES NOT meet the above qualifications.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:19 PM
  • CN3,

Hope your weekend was great. I want to confirm did you purchase the WGA Kit from Microsoft or a Microsoft Upgrade from a store? Previously you had posted and it was mentioned you run the MGA diagnostic.Wanted to confirm. As Dan posted for a upgrade it would require a previous genuine licensed version present on your machine for the upgrade to build upon. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:08 PM
  • CN3,

Did you try the solutions posted by Dan and Carey on your original post in order to determine what version of Windows the system was pre-loaded with when you purchased it from the business? Did you run the MGA diagnostic's as recommended? Did the computer come with a licensed copy disc of the previously installed windows? Windows upgrade may be installed on a previous installation but you will need to read the end user licensing agreement (EULA). As a general rule there are advantages for re-installing windows especially since the computer is not new. In turn I provide you with a checklist in order to help you as well as explain the process.   

Was a determination made that your machine was pre-loaded with a Volume Licensing Key (VLK). If so I would like to share information about a VLK.As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

What type of computer is it, commercial or custom built? If the computer didn't come a reinstallation software media and it is a commercial system you may purchase the reinstallation media. Pleasae contact the technicial support section and request them to send you a reinstallation media software for the make and model. I will wait for the diag results. Hopefully the information will provide you guidance in advance coupled with the existing information already provided.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:33 PM

All replies

• Hello CN3,

We are glad to hear you received the Windows Genuine Kit. You have a great question, Do I need to know if I have to do anything special to the current version of XP(i.e. uninstall it??) Well CN I say lets totally blast out the non-genuine installation.  How is that? The following website will provide and answer all your installation questions and then some. Please open the following site: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx .  Please click on Install Windows XP. Please begin  your review process here. There is a checklist you should follow prior beginning the installation. A very import task is backing up all your data, pictures, favorites and/or whatever is important. The installation process will wipe out all files. This should get you up and running.  Take care :-) and have a super weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:16 AM
  • CN3,

A Windows XP Upgrade Kit that comes in a box will be the retail upgrade package for XP.

In order to install an upgrade license for XP, on the computer to be upgraded you first must have a genuine installation of a qualifying upgradable Windows OS, or you must have access to a genuine CD for a qualifying upgradable Windows OS and will be instructed to insert the CD during the first phas of XP Setup.

Please note that a nongenuine installation of XP DOES NOT meet the above qualifications.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:19 PM
  • CN3,

Hope your weekend was great. I want to confirm did you purchase the WGA Kit from Microsoft or a Microsoft Upgrade from a store? Previously you had posted and it was mentioned you run the MGA diagnostic.Wanted to confirm. As Dan posted for a upgrade it would require a previous genuine licensed version present on your machine for the upgrade to build upon. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and take care.

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:08 PM
  • This is unbelievable! I cannot believe I have to go through all this, just because MS decided to download (w/out my permission) a program to check the version of Windows that resides on my pc. So, I've gone out and purchased the XP upgrade kit and now you tell me I cannot install it without reformatting my hard drive (I have to buy a new storage device) and I need a disk of a previous version of Windows to make all this work. I don't have a disk of the previous version originally installed on the pc (Windows 2003 Pro). So now what????

I am a legitimate user with legitimate software. This is unbelievable that I have to jump through all the MS hoops.

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:46 PM
  • CN3,

Did you try the solutions posted by Dan and Carey on your original post in order to determine what version of Windows the system was pre-loaded with when you purchased it from the business? Did you run the MGA diagnostic's as recommended? Did the computer come with a licensed copy disc of the previously installed windows? Windows upgrade may be installed on a previous installation but you will need to read the end user licensing agreement (EULA). As a general rule there are advantages for re-installing windows especially since the computer is not new. In turn I provide you with a checklist in order to help you as well as explain the process.   

Was a determination made that your machine was pre-loaded with a Volume Licensing Key (VLK). If so I would like to share information about a VLK.As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

What type of computer is it, commercial or custom built? If the computer didn't come a reinstallation software media and it is a commercial system you may purchase the reinstallation media. Pleasae contact the technicial support section and request them to send you a reinstallation media software for the make and model. I will wait for the diag results. Hopefully the information will provide you guidance in advance coupled with the existing information already provided.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:33 PM