none
OEM Question Windows 7 Professional RRS feed

• Question

• I had a custom computer built at a store, and purchased windows 7 with an OEM license for it. I now plan on gutting the pc, changing the motherboard, CPU, and graphics card. Can I still use the same license for the modified computer? The hard drive will remain the same.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:14 PM

Answers

• "J.Fallone" wrote in message news:c97db090-ef0b-42fd-ac6f-2bd48a401f95...

I had a custom computer built at a store, and purchased windows 7 with an OEM license for it. I now plan on gutting the pc, changing the motherboard, CPU, and graphics card. Can I still use the same license for the modified computer? The hard drive will remain the same.

No
    The OEM License is locked to the first motherboard on which it is activated, and cannot be moved for any reason other than replacement of the board under warranty conditions.

The Hard Drive is effectively irrelevant in this scenario.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:24 PM
  • To add to Noel's comments, this is from the Microsoft OEM licensing FAQs at

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:43 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "J.Fallone" wrote in message news:c97db090-ef0b-42fd-ac6f-2bd48a401f95...

I had a custom computer built at a store, and purchased windows 7 with an OEM license for it. I now plan on gutting the pc, changing the motherboard, CPU, and graphics card. Can I still use the same license for the modified computer? The hard drive will remain the same.

No
    The OEM License is locked to the first motherboard on which it is activated, and cannot be moved for any reason other than replacement of the board under warranty conditions.

The Hard Drive is effectively irrelevant in this scenario.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:24 PM
  • To add to Noel's comments, this is from the Microsoft OEM licensing FAQs at

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:43 PM
    Answerer