Regex searches RRS feed

• Question

• Any plans to offer regular expression searches?

Friday, December 12, 2008 8:41 PM

Answers

• Due to the expensive nature of regex and the huge dataset to search, this would be impossible. Regular expression work by iterating over every character in the given data potentially multiple times. This would be impossible to scale up to the size of the data that is on the internet.

Can I ask what goal you are trying to achieve with regular expressions? Any information you can give us will go towards improving future versions of Live Search API.

Thanks

Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:29 AM

All replies

• Due to the expensive nature of regex and the huge dataset to search, this would be impossible. Regular expression work by iterating over every character in the given data potentially multiple times. This would be impossible to scale up to the size of the data that is on the internet.

Can I ask what goal you are trying to achieve with regular expressions? Any information you can give us will go towards improving future versions of Live Search API.

Thanks

Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:29 AM
  • I am a security researcher and often need to query for things like

"what is the set of pages that have commented out form tags" or "what are the pages that have MD5 hash patterns within a comment".  simple token searches have limited value in these cases because we need to constrain the search.  any facility to target searches as subsets of pages would be useful.  things we might want to target are:

comments

specific tags

forms

scripts

the list is potentially endless but anything that allows us to narrow the search target is helpful.  thank you for the reply

Sunday, December 14, 2008 6:09 PM