Hard drive failure.. need advise. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all..

Just today, my installation hard drive finally threw in the towel.

It is dead...  non responsive at all..   does not spin up or anything.

Anyway, my question is, what do i do with my storage pool drives ?  Can i just import them into a fresh install of WHS on a new drive ?  If so, is there a procedure to follow ? Anything to watch out for ?

thanks..

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:44 AM

Answers

• If you connect a new drive in place of the one that failed, you should be able to run a server recovery installation. When you perform your installation, you'll get another option in addition to the "new installation" option during the initial WinPE setup phase.

I don't think you'll be able to retain backups through this, but you should be able to retain your files. To make certain, I would recommend copying the files off of the secondary drives in your storage pool before you make the attempt. That way, in case it doesn't turn out well you'll have a backup.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 3:29 AM
  • Yes, as Ken said.

You will lose the customize and addon you made for your WHS, that all.

My best.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 6:36 AM
  • To do what you want (I just did this this evening, with a testbed machine):
    • Remove the failed drive.
    • Install a new drive in it's place.
    • Insert the WHS installation DVD and boot your PC.
    • When asked what kind of installation you want, choose server restoration. The text that says you will lose data is incorrect. Ignore it; it's wrong (This appears to be a bug, and I can't find it on Connect. I'll look in the forums later). You will potentially lose backups. You will certainly lose users and OS customizations, like add-ins, installed software, etc.
    • If your particular machine needs them, install Windows Server 2003 storage drivers from floppy at the appropriate times (when you see the list of drives found during the initial graphical setup is the first time, and the "Press F6" prompt at the beginning of text mode setup is the second). When WHS installation proceeds, leave the DVD in the drive until you see the WHS Welcome screen.
    Because WHS is still beta software, you should have a backup of any irreplaceable important data that you have stored on WHS. This is a precaution in case the beta software causes problems or data loss. But I can tell you that I performed the exact steps above, and did not lose any data. YMMV.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Let me elaborate, Tom. My testbed didn't have two drives until about 5 minutes before I started my test. It did have a few files on it. I confirmed that those drives were on the D: partition, under the Shares folder. I then added a drive to the pool, making two drives. When that was done, I checked and found that the few files I had on the server had already been migrated off of the D: partition to the secondary drive. Then I copied a couple of additional files to the testbed. They were migrated immediately as well. At no time did I have duplication turned on.

I believe that the only way the OP will lose data is if A) something unsavory happens during the Server Recovery process, or B) there were files on the D: partition that had not yet been migrated off to a secondary disk at the time the system disk died, which in a working WHS installation means that the OP was probably in the process of copying a file to the server at that exact instant.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:36 AM

All replies

• If you connect a new drive in place of the one that failed, you should be able to run a server recovery installation. When you perform your installation, you'll get another option in addition to the "new installation" option during the initial WinPE setup phase.

I don't think you'll be able to retain backups through this, but you should be able to retain your files. To make certain, I would recommend copying the files off of the secondary drives in your storage pool before you make the attempt. That way, in case it doesn't turn out well you'll have a backup.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 3:29 AM
  •  

Ok.  Thanks for the reply.

So what you are saying is that all i have to do is :

1 - Install new HDD

2 - Setup WHS on new HDD using recovery function.

3 - All files in storage pool should be intact with the exception of backups ( which i have none of anyway ).

Can anyone else confirm this ?

thanks again.  Smile

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:16 AM
  • Yes, as Ken said.

You will lose the customize and addon you made for your WHS, that all.

My best.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 6:36 AM
  •  

Cool..  thanks heaps guys..

Sorry abobader, but what do you mean by " customize and addon " ?

cheers

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

Like modify startup web page and icons, addon you installed, simply WHS will be as it FIRST installed issue.

My best.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 9:28 AM
  •  

right i see...  thanks for your help..  

much appreciated   :-)

regards

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:36 AM
  •  

Ok.  I was given wrong information !!

I started the install process of WHS on a new hard drive.

I selected the " Server Restore " option..    and guess what ??  It pays to read.

It specifically states that the ONLY data that will be kept is the data that was DUPLICATED !!  Anything else WILL BE LOST !!

Go figure...

In other words, you may as well setup a mirrored raid and use win xp.  WHS is only usefull if you duplicate every file in the drive pool. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

So, in a nutshell, an average consumer would be well and truly F***ED if they were in my predicament and they didn't know what to do.

Lucky for me, i have some spare drives i can connect to the new install and create a new POOL, then transfer the stuff off the old pool drives across bit by bit.

I wouldv't thought that microsoft would allow the " Server Restore" option to import an existing Storage Pool and keep all your data.

Isn't folder / file duplication meant to be used incase of a storage drive failure ?????

My storage drives have not failed...   it was the System / Install drive that failed..

Anyway..  nuff said.

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:37 PM
  • I am reasonably sure that, if you have at least one drive other than your system drive in your WHS, you will lose no files. I will know for certain in about an hour. I'll get back to you on the data loss issue.

Whatever my testing indicates, RC1 is still beta software. You should not have your only copy of important irreplaceable data on WHS right now. So making a backup is an excellent idea.

Edit: Okay, I've run a server reinstallation on my two-disk testbed after wiping the system disk. There was no loss of files in the shares. This testbed isn't hooked up with any clients, so I can't address backups. But you won't lose your files.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:59 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I am reasonably sure that, if you have at least one drive other than your system drive in your WHS, you will lose no files. I will know for certain in about an hour. I'll get back to you on the data loss issue.

Whatever my testing indicates, RC1 is still beta software. You should not have your only copy of important irreplaceable data on WHS right now. So making a backup is an excellent idea.

Edit: Okay, I've run a server reinstallation on my two-disk testbed after wiping the system disk. There was no loss of files in the shares. This testbed isn't hooked up with any clients, so I can't address backups. But you won't lose your files.

Same thing here Ken, I did that twice before, and did not lose files, only one backup.

Maybe things went wrong with the topic starter, maybe while the dirve was failling, some corrupted data been writting, and case all these issue.

That just a gussing issue tho.

My best.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:02 AM
  • ok..  i will explain one more time.

I rebooted server, and main hard drive is dead..  Does not spin or show any sign of life.

My storage pool which is made up of 12 SATA drives is intact ( as far as i know ).

What i need to do is install a new HDD, and re-install WHS from scratch.

Now, i attempted to re-install WHS today and selected " SERVER RESTORE " option.

However, i was greeted with a message telling me that only the files which were set for duplication in my original storage pool will be saved.  Everything else will be lost.

You people however are telling me otherwise.  You are telling me that i will only lose my backups... 

Lets be clear on this. Backups of what ??  My other PC's ?    Currently, my storage pool only has files in there. Some are duplicated and the rest not.

cheers

Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:12 AM
  • To do what you want (I just did this this evening, with a testbed machine):
    • Remove the failed drive.
    • Install a new drive in it's place.
    • Insert the WHS installation DVD and boot your PC.
    • When asked what kind of installation you want, choose server restoration. The text that says you will lose data is incorrect. Ignore it; it's wrong (This appears to be a bug, and I can't find it on Connect. I'll look in the forums later). You will potentially lose backups. You will certainly lose users and OS customizations, like add-ins, installed software, etc.
    • If your particular machine needs them, install Windows Server 2003 storage drivers from floppy at the appropriate times (when you see the list of drives found during the initial graphical setup is the first time, and the "Press F6" prompt at the beginning of text mode setup is the second). When WHS installation proceeds, leave the DVD in the drive until you see the WHS Welcome screen.
    Because WHS is still beta software, you should have a backup of any irreplaceable important data that you have stored on WHS. This is a precaution in case the beta software causes problems or data loss. But I can tell you that I performed the exact steps above, and did not lose any data. YMMV.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:12 AM
  • There is the chance that data WILL be lost if not duplicated. If you do not have duplication turned on you can lose data. But it sounds like you have multiple drives and if you installed originally with all drives connected, duplication is enabled and you should be fine. Follow Ken's steps and you should be OK.

The text is not wrong in setup, because you can lose data.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:17 AM
  •  

Ken, thank you very much for clearing this up.

Much appreciated.  I will try for myself and let you know how i go.

regards,

Claude

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:19 AM
  • Thak you to everyone else also.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Let me elaborate, Tom. My testbed didn't have two drives until about 5 minutes before I started my test. It did have a few files on it. I confirmed that those drives were on the D: partition, under the Shares folder. I then added a drive to the pool, making two drives. When that was done, I checked and found that the few files I had on the server had already been migrated off of the D: partition to the secondary drive. Then I copied a couple of additional files to the testbed. They were migrated immediately as well. At no time did I have duplication turned on.

I believe that the only way the OP will lose data is if A) something unsavory happens during the Server Recovery process, or B) there were files on the D: partition that had not yet been migrated off to a secondary disk at the time the system disk died, which in a working WHS installation means that the OP was probably in the process of copying a file to the server at that exact instant.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:36 AM
  • Ken, I believe there is another way some data can be lost:  All of the secondary drives are full (which means WHS wouldn't be able to migrate any more files off of the primary drive).  In that case, some of the data would be lost (whatever was on the primary drive at the time of the failure).

Saturday, July 28, 2007 4:47 AM
  •  

i am really sweating here !!!

I went ahead with re-installing WHS, and during the recovery process it popped up a message saying this :

" Installing Windows Home Server failed. The request is not supported.

( Error code 0x80070032 )   "

What the hell is this ?   I hope i haven't lost my data..   :-(
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:44 AM
  •  

Oh man...   this is a real nightmare...

After my hard drive failed, i checked to see if each drive in my storage pool was ok, and they were all readable.

Now, one of the drives has lost it's partition table..   not good..  not good at all..

400Gigs of data down the tube...

Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:10 AM
  •  

Oh dear...  what a hell of a learning curve.

I am writing all this in hope that i will help someone along the way.

I have just worked out that i had place a wrong drive back into the pool. I replaced the correct drive, and now seems to be going ok..

Fingers crossed..

more to come..

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:59 AM
  •  

Get yourself a copy of "Spinrite" from grc.com and run it on your screwed up hard drive. There is a good chance it will recover all or most of your data!

Vince

Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:05 AM
  •  VSawler wrote:

Get yourself a copy of "Spinrite" from grc.com and run it on your screwed up hard drive. There is a good chance it will recover all or most of your data!

Vince

Thanks for the advice Vince...   but i worked out i had placed a wrong drive into the storage pool.

cheers

Saturday, July 28, 2007 10:09 AM
  • WOO HOO !!!

All up and running again !!

Thanks guys for the info...  it worked a treat !

:-)

Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:02 PM
  • Kariya, that fallin my option B) above, I think (not all files have been migrated off the D: partition). Wahtever the reason, when a drive fails any file located on that drive, and only that drive, will be lost with the drive. Which is why WHS duplication is such a great thing: as long as you have two drives, and as long as neither one is full, duplication guarantees that your files are on two physical devices at all times.
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 1:15 PM
  • First, thanks to 'vvulture' for his thread since I am now facing a similar problem with an unfortunate twist.  

While attempting to do a Restore due to a failed 'sys' disk I had another disk fail.  It was the smallest one in my array but it looks like that has killed the restore process.  I am getting error code 0x80070032 - presumably due to the failed disk. 

My config: new sys disk 500GB (old 250GB) + 2 x 1TB + 1 x 750GB + (a now failed) 250GB

Most everything is backed-up externally but I would really prefer to restore the system since some things aren't.  Is this possible or am I done??

Thanks!
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Hi,
    what do you mean with "restore process" exactly? A server reinstall?
    This FAQ describes, how you can recover the data (as long as the disks are still accessible).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Thank you for the guide, Olaf.  Yes, I do mean "Server Reinstall".

In fact, I have been following your guide - unfortunately the error is still occuring.  I believe this is due to the double disc failure - a truely rare occurance.

Since my data is all externally backed up I am going to proceed with a full re-installation.

Thanks again for your reply!

Friday, January 23, 2009 1:37 AM