Re-installing after drive crash - PP1 or not? RRS feed

• Question

• While I was preparing to do the PP1 upgrade, my main hard drive died. It's definitely the hardware, and definitely not related to anything I was doing to get ready for the upgrade; just one of those cosmic coincidences.

I've got over 2TB of data on a combination of 2 other internal and 2 USB external drives. The failed boot drive MAY have had data on it, depending on how the shares are automatically allocated.

Obviously I need to replace the bad drive, and install WHS on it. Can I go directly to PP1, or do I need to re-install the original WHS and then upgrade? What's the best strategy for recovering as much of my data as possible, and ending up with a PP1 system?

Thanks.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

•  Tangible wrote:
    Thanks, Andrew. I will do that. Can you point me to the best source of step-by-step instructions to do the re-install and save the data?
    [...and I know that's off-topic, and won't ask any more questions about it in this forum section!]

All you need to do it pop your WHS dvd in the drive, reboot, choose Server Reinstallation as the installation method (this is the most important bit - if you dont see Server Reinstallation as an option, STOP and check that your drives are all being seen in the correct sequence in the BIOS).

After the reinstallation you will need to recreate your users, re-permission the shares and reinstall any add-ins but that should be it. Your data will be safe.

When you know its all working just install PP1 and you should be fine.

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:30 PM

All replies

• Remember that PP1 is currently in beta - if you value your data and you dont have a backup I would urge caution.

My advice would be to do a normal server reinstallation, check everything then do the PP1 upgrade.

Remember as well that the integrated PP1 build is evaluation only and for 120 days so you will have to reinstall later. If you go with just the PP1 upgrade, you can remove the beta and then install the final when its ready.

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:57 PM
  • Thanks, Andrew. I will do that. Can you point me to the best source of step-by-step instructions to do the re-install and save the data?
    [...and I know that's off-topic, and won't ask any more questions about it in this forum section!]

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:26 PM
  •  Tangible wrote:
    Thanks, Andrew. I will do that. Can you point me to the best source of step-by-step instructions to do the re-install and save the data?

All you need to do it pop your WHS dvd in the drive, reboot, choose Server Reinstallation as the installation method (this is the most important bit - if you dont see Server Reinstallation as an option, STOP and check that your drives are all being seen in the correct sequence in the BIOS).

After the reinstallation you will need to recreate your users, re-permission the shares and reinstall any add-ins but that should be it. Your data will be safe.

When you know its all working just install PP1 and you should be fine.

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 9:30 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Remember that PP1 is currently in beta - if you value your data and you dont have a backup I would urge caution.

My advice would be to do a normal server reinstallation, check everything then do the PP1 upgrade.

Remember as well that the integrated PP1 build is evaluation only and for 120 days so you will have to reinstall later. If you go with just the PP1 upgrade, you can remove the beta and then install the final when its ready.

Andrew

I thought the WHS with PP1 integrated was only 30 days.  Can we request activation keys for it?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:21 AM
  •  kariya21 wrote:
     Andrew Edney wrote:

Remember that PP1 is currently in beta - if you value your data and you dont have a backup I would urge caution.

Andrew

I thought the WHS with PP1 integrated was only 30 days.  Can we request activation keys for it?

Product keys to extend the Evaluation version of Power Pack 1 to 120 days are available via the Connect site.

Monday, June 16, 2008 5:37 PM