problem to sync vista to external device RRS feed

• Question

•  

I can't sync (synctoy 2.0) from laptop with vista business to ext devise. error: cannot write to destination file:Acces denied.

I have been able to sync from other computer (with windows XP) to this device and from the divice to the laptop. I can also drag and drop the files from the laptop to the device without problems.

I have not change user accounts or anything like that.

I have the device on the left folder and the laptop on the right.

Any suggestion?

C.

Friday, August 22, 2008 3:15 PM

All replies

• Can you send us the relevant error information from the SyncToy log? You can access the log from the SyncToy File menu.

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:44 PM
    Answerer
  • This is it:

SYNC: 08/22/2008 11:28:37:071: *** Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) Copying C:\Users\LPLNYC\Documents\grants\08 R21 Bone Marrow\grant6.doc to F:\grants\08 R21 Bone Marrow\grant6.doc

C.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 10:55 PM
  • And I assume that you have manually tried copying that file successfully from the laptop to the device? Also, what happens if you try to delete that file from the device, change the file on the laptop so that it get a newer timestamp, and then run the sync?

Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:56 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes, I can manually copy and have no problems.

And I deleted the file from the device first it, change the file in the laptop and YEP it worked!...but this is not a practical way to do things since I usually modify multiple files every time...

c.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Sounds good.. I was not suggesting this as a regular workaround. Do you get this error on multiple files? And does it keep coming back?

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:06 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi...

yes, the error is on multiple files and yes, it keeps coming back.

C.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:42 PM
  • Is there a chance that you or your IT admins have setup Folder Re-direction for your folders? This is a Windows feature that ensure that your documents are always backed up to a IT share and available from all your work PCs. SyncToy is not currently compatible with this feature and can lead to the Access Denied errors you're experiencing.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:37 AM
    Answerer
  • No, I use this computer at home only and is not into any network.

c.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 8:55 PM