upgrade to full version without data loss? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, If I start using WHS2011 RC1 now, will I be able to restore the server with the full version when released, without using all my data? Thanks!
    Friday, February 18, 2011 11:44 PM

All replies

• Just test, don't production use it since RC isn't updateable to final. And if it was.. it's a (99 out of 100 based on lazyness) bad choice. Who wan'ts to risk issues due to beta left overs in a final installation?
    Hi, If I start using WHS2011 RC1 now, will I be able to restore the server with the full version when released, without using all my data? Thanks!

Have a nice day!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:21 PM
  • But what about installing the Final release as a fresh install and recovering your data set from a RC backup? Doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that to work given this is a RC and there are no complications of DE any more.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:29 PM
  • On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 15:29:59 +0000, PhilipJH wrote:

But what about installing the Final release as a fresh install and recovering your data set from a RC backup? Doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that to work given this is a RC and there are no complications of DE any more.

That should work just fine since the Dashboard-based Server Backup is
    simply a wrapper around the Windows Server Backup of Windows Server 2008
    R2.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca

Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Data is data, so that would be no problem. But be sure it's not on the WHS machine while you install the final version.
    But what about installing the Final release as a fresh install and recovering your data set from a RC backup? Doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that to work given this is a RC and there are no complications of DE any more.

Have a nice day!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:49 PM