locked
Connctor install fails after Vail(Refresh) re-install RRS feed

  • Question

  • I had the Vail(Refresh) install on VMWare Workstation 7.1.1. Everything was working correctly. I had two client machines running Win7 Ult x64, with the connector running and everything working correctly.

    Long story short, I had to revert to a post-install snapshot. Then tried a fresh install.

    Long story. I was accessing the WHS from the outside from behind a proxy, using the IP address. Since the homeserver.com was blocked in the proxy. While trying to get the TS gateway to use a different SSL cert with the CN=IP instead of CN=hostname, I did a bunch of stuff to the base IIS install and other things that made the WHS non-base. So I decided to revert to the post-install snapshot.

    This is where the trouble started. So I tried the clients that already had the client installed. First I uninstalled the connector, then went to the http://whs-vail/connector and did the install from there. Both clients failed to install, unspecified error. So I decided to do a fresh install. I shutdown that VM, and started a new one from scratch. After this server was up and running (VMWare tools and all MS updates) I tried again to install the connector software from both clients, no go.

    Is the something else that needs done? Does the uninstall of the connector software turn off a service? Or do something to .net that requires .net to be reinstalled?

    Monday, September 13, 2010 6:25 PM

All replies

  • I had the Vail(Refresh) install on VMWare Workstation 7.1.1. Everything was working correctly. I had two client machines running Win7 Ult x64, with the connector running and everything working correctly.

    Long story short, I had to revert to a post-install snapshot. Then tried a fresh install.

    Long story. I was accessing the WHS from the outside from behind a proxy, using the IP address. Since the homeserver.com was blocked in the proxy. While trying to get the TS gateway to use a different SSL cert with the CN=IP instead of CN=hostname, I did a bunch of stuff to the base IIS install and other things that made the WHS non-base. So I decided to revert to the post-install snapshot.

    This is where the trouble started. So I tried the clients that already had the client installed. First I uninstalled the connector, then went to the http://whs-vail/connector and did the install from there. Both clients failed to install, unspecified error. So I decided to do a fresh install. I shutdown that VM, and started a new one from scratch. After this server was up and running (VMWare tools and all MS updates) I tried again to install the connector software from both clients, no go.

    Is the something else that needs done? Does the uninstall of the connector software turn off a service? Or do something to .net that requires .net to be reinstalled?

    Perhaps it was a mistake when you typed your question, but the correct path is http://<servername>/connect, not http://<servername>/connector.  If you were doing the latter, that would be your problem.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:58 AM
    Moderator
  • Perhaps it was a mistake when you typed your question, but the correct path is http://<servername>/connect, not http://<servername>/connector.  If you were doing the latter, that would be your problem.

     

    It was just a typo, I used the correct URL to do the install.

    I've been unable to get this to work over the last few days. I've even tried installing VAIL on a stand alone server, it still won't allow the clients that had the connector reinstalled to install.

    I installed Win7 and a fresh stand-alone and it was able to install and configure the connector. So I'm thinking there is something wrong when the connector software was unstalled.

    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:23 PM
  • It was just a typo, I used the correct URL to do the install.

    I've been unable to get this to work over the last few days. I've even tried installing VAIL on a stand alone server, it still won't allow the clients that had the connector reinstalled to install.

    I installed Win7 and a fresh stand-alone and it was able to install and configure the connector. So I'm thinking there is something wrong when the connector software was unstalled.

    In that case, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:47 AM
    Moderator