Strange Backup File RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Most of my backup files end with the date and time. For example:

My Money Backup_yyyy-mm-dd_hhmmss.mbf

However, I have one backup file which ends with a zero, like this:

My Money Backup 0.mbf

The files that end with a date are small. But the file that ends with a zero is the same size as my .mny file.

I'm assuming that there was a problem creating the backup file, or compressing it, and that it's safe to delete?

Thanks,
    Shane.

Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe
    Sunset Edition
    version 17.0.120.3817

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Thursday, August 3, 2017 6:01 AM

Answers

• The ones with the date+time are produced by a version after Money 2005. for both the scheduled and upon-exit backups. Those files are smaller because you have set the settings to compress. Money 2006 and later keeps the latest nn backups where you can select a number for nn.

The "My Money Backup 0.mbf" would have been produced during a restore. It is not compressed. You don't need it anymore. Feel free to delete it.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:37 PM

All replies

• My version of Money reuses the last backup file until I deliberately create a new one.  Before deleting the 0 file, I suggest manually creating a new backup using your normal convention.

Other than losing data you may want to retrieve later, I am not aware of any problem deleting a non-current backup file.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 5:02 PM
  • The ones with the date+time are produced by a version after Money 2005. for both the scheduled and upon-exit backups. Those files are smaller because you have set the settings to compress. Money 2006 and later keeps the latest nn backups where you can select a number for nn.

The "My Money Backup 0.mbf" would have been produced during a restore. It is not compressed. You don't need it anymore. Feel free to delete it.

Thursday, August 3, 2017 7:37 PM