Genuine Advantage fails RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying for three days now to update a customers computer to IE7. The machine fails to pass the Validation check. I have no doubt that it is a valid installation, since there are numerous "eMachines" links on the desktop, and the reset homepage (in an effort to reset all IE6 settings) came up as eMachines.com. I can't imagine anybody doing that on purpose..

Anyway, I've tried solving the issue through self help articles, and have contacted MS support through email (Case ID SRX1033725994) and had a message bounced back because it was too large for the mailbox. I've tried editing the registry, but cannot find some of the keys I'm looking for. Can somebody help me out? Could I just reactivate? Would that help the Validation?

Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:32 PM

Answers

•  He sent me a file I've never heard of before, and even after googling it found only a few references on message boards. I personally think it would be a great idea to include with XP, (can you say SP3?) or in Vista, if it will work. No need to make an announcement or anything, just make it available as a tool to be accessed when the situation arises. It would appear that it was a registry fix, and it took several minutes to run it's course in a command prompt window.  I want to thank you for your time and interest, Darin, and  I hope I don't need your assistance in the future. Wink

Thanx again,
    Chris.

Here is an edited copy of the e-mail I received from MS Support:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for using Microsoft Online Support Service. To better serve you, this case has been escalated from the Windows Update group to the Windows Product group.

My name is Adam and I will be assisting you on this service request. To contact me, you may directly send emails to my account: xxx@mssupport.com with the case ID SRX1034029363 in the subject.

From your description, I understand that  Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) cannot be installed. If I have misunderstood, please do not hesitate to let me know.

After reviewing the case log, I understand that you have invested a lot of time on this issue. Your efforts are appreciated.

This behavior occurs if some registry permissions have been restricted.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we perform these steps to reset the registry permissions to the default settings:

1. Click Start, Run, type: "%windir%\help" and press Enter to open the Help folder.
    2. Click Start, Run, type: "%windir%\system32" and press Enter to open the System32 folder.
    3. Open the attachment secedit.zip, copy and paste the file secedit.exe into the System32 folder; copy and paste the file secedit.chm into the Help folder.

(attachment: secedit.zip)

4. Click Start, click Run, type the following command and then press ENTER

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

You will receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message.

Note: The command is complicated and I suggest you copy and paste the above command into the Run box.

After repairing the local security database, let's try to install IE 7 again. You can download the latest version of IE 7 from the link below:

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

If you receive any further error messages when installing IE 7, please help capture a screenshot of the error message for further research:

1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
    3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.
    4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: xxxhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

If you receive any further error messages when installing IE 7, please help capture a screenshot of the error message for further research:

1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit Menu, click Save under the File menu, type a file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on the left pane, and click Save.
    4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: xxx@mssupport.com

Also, please send me the following log files:

1. Click Start and click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type "%windir%" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    3. Please send these files to my email address . if they do not exist, do not worry.

ie7_main.log
    ie7.log
    ie7Uninst.log

When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.
    Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.

If my email address cannot be reached, please send the reply to my Team Leader Cindy J at xxx@mssupport.com or my Tech Lead Roger Y at xxx@mssupport.com. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. 

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Adam T  xxx@mssupport.com
    Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:46 AM

All replies

• Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XF38K-VJTWH-4PFRJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: ENgllI+Opyg5Xglh1RbzhRHVKA8=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2140876-35463
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: f379b719-81e6-4af6-9ee9-5cf846d314bd
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 63BB5E84-821-80004005_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-85-800401f3_BB5C1257-47-800401f3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Hi Carmievg,

From your Diagnostic Report, your Windows XP Pro and Office are both Genuine, but I also see that a part of the Diagnostic Report is missing. The missing portion is a bunch of XML tags and text we call the XML Blob.

The missing XML Blob usually points to a problem (XML Issue) that is larger then just WGA, but it does have a direct affect on your ability to validate Windows. Please follow the below steps and tell us if this resolves your issue.

1) Download and install MSXML 6.0 at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1&DisplayLang=en (this should correct the XML issue)

2) Delete the file LegitCheckControl.DLL from the c:\windows\system32 folder (this removes the WGA Validation ActiveX control, in case it is corrupt or improperly installed)

3) Download and install the WGA Validation ActiveX control at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69479  (this will re-install the WGA Validation ActiveX control which is required to validate)

4) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and click the "Start Diagnostic" button, if there are any problems listed, click the "Resolve Now" button. The site will either resolve the problem itself or provide steps for you to follow. Once you complete the Diagnostic without error, click the "Validate Windows" button.

5) Retry the Windows Update site.

If you were able to "Validate Windows" at the Diagnostic Site, but you are still having problems with the Windows Update site, there may be a problem with the Windows Update files, on your computer. Try the below steps:

6) Click 'Start' button, then 'Run...'

7) In the Run window, Type: cmd  <click OK>

8) In the command prompt, type the following command: Net stop wuauserv  <press Enter>

9) In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows and delete the Softwaredistribution folder.

10) In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and delete the Softwaredistribution folder.

11) Back at the command prompt, type the following:  Net start wuauserv <press Enter>

12) reboot and try Windows Update again.

(note: the next time Windows Update does a scan for updates, the Softwaredistribution folders (and the included files) will be recreated)

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------
    All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:05 AM
  • http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25

I've also done everything suggested on this thread as well.

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:37 PM
  • I've tried all those things, yet it still refuses to Validate. I tried both of the MSXML parser programs, one of which stopped because the one already installed was newer than the one I was trying to install, so I went with the SDK version. Still failing. I've talked with the customer about this, and she would like her computer back, but I've managed to convince her that this is somethiing which needs to be repaired. She said she would try to find the original disc which came with her machine but I have not yet received it from her. Would a re-install over the old winstallation even help? I don't want to do a format, as there are a lot of games, pictures, music, etc. on here, and, well, you know how it is, even with the most diligent backup, you always lose SOMETHING with a format.

Friday, April 20, 2007 1:53 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-XF38K-VJTWH-4PFRJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: ENgllI+Opyg5Xglh1RbzhRHVKA8=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2140876-35463
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: f379b719-81e6-4af6-9ee9-5cf846d314bd
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.18.5
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 63BB5E84-821-80004005_70AFE6BE-116-800401f3_63BB5E84-365-800401f3_E2AD56EA-85-800401f3_BB5C1257-47-800401f3
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-150-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details:

I'm pretty sure that this is everything that the Diagnostic tool reports. Is there another way I oculd get that "MXL blob" to this thread?

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:01 PM
  • Hi Carmievg,

A repair may resolve the issue, but I can not confirm that. I would suggest opening a free WGA Service Request at https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860.

This is one of the only issues, currently on the forums, that I don't have a good answer to and I would Really like to get a better understanding of it so I can better help user with this problem and to make suggestions to the Devs on how to avoid having users see this issue in the future. So, once you create the Service Request, please post your Confirmation Number in this thread so I can follow the progress of your issue.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:17 PM
  • I have contacted MS support and have a Case ID #. Judy is also stumped, and is forwarding this situation to system support.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for prompt reply. I have received your attachment and I want to thank you for your time and kind cooperation on this case.

From your response, I understand that after manually installation, IE7 still could not be installed. Since this issue is related to the system, based on my experienced, we should resolve system issue firstly. To provide efficient and accurate services to our customers, Microsoft has different support groups for different products. So, I suggest involving system support directly. Please understand that we do this to provide our customers with more professional support. I have created a no charge system case regarding this issue. A system engineer will contact you within 24 hours to provide you with suggestions so that we can get the issue resolved in a timely manner. This is the case ID: SRX1034029363

Please understand I only specialize in Windows Update issues and cannot provide you with solutions to troubleshoot the system issue effectively. Thank you for your understanding, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or cannot contact with the system engineer, please send email to xxx@mssuport and we will follow up with you as soon as possible. Please remember to include the case ID number in the email subject heading written as follows: Case ID SRX1033725994. This issue will then be reactivated for me to follow up immediately. I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Judy W

Hopefully there is a resolution to this problem.

Just out of curiousity, doesn't MS Support have some kind of grammar check installed?

chris

Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:19 PM
  • It is fixed!!!

A systems expert sent me a small zip file with  a few utilities in it, and had me install and run them. It appeared to be a registry fixing program. I have since validated Windows. I then updated to IE7. Yay!! The next thing I did, was to restore the system to the state it was in when I received the system, enabling all the spyware and startup programs (sigh) that were bogging the system down. I am currently in the process of cleaning the system, and then I'm going to run that fix again, finish all the updates, and give her back her machine. I will post the fix here soon. Just wanted to let you know that all is good now.

Thank you for your concern and input.

Chris.

Monday, April 23, 2007 8:24 PM
  •  

Hi Carmievg,

It is fixed!!!

YES! That's great!

The very next thing I'm going to do after writing this post, is track down the System Expert, that you talked to, and find out what he sent you.

This is one of the only issues, that I've seen on the forums, that I didn't have a good fix for. But thanks to you, we may have a confirmed Silver Bullet that  fixes the issue. (and in the process, we can see if WGA causes the issue or just highlights an already existing issue in XP. We can also see if its possible to integrate this into future WGA releases so that no future users experience this issue).

Thank you so much for your help Carmievg, I really appreciate it!

Thank you,

Darin Smith

MGA Forum Program Manager

Monday, April 23, 2007 9:11 PM
  •  He sent me a file I've never heard of before, and even after googling it found only a few references on message boards. I personally think it would be a great idea to include with XP, (can you say SP3?) or in Vista, if it will work. No need to make an announcement or anything, just make it available as a tool to be accessed when the situation arises. It would appear that it was a registry fix, and it took several minutes to run it's course in a command prompt window.  I want to thank you for your time and interest, Darin, and  I hope I don't need your assistance in the future. Wink

Thanx again,
    Chris.

Here is an edited copy of the e-mail I received from MS Support:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for using Microsoft Online Support Service. To better serve you, this case has been escalated from the Windows Update group to the Windows Product group.

My name is Adam and I will be assisting you on this service request. To contact me, you may directly send emails to my account: xxx@mssupport.com with the case ID SRX1034029363 in the subject.

From your description, I understand that  Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) cannot be installed. If I have misunderstood, please do not hesitate to let me know.

After reviewing the case log, I understand that you have invested a lot of time on this issue. Your efforts are appreciated.

This behavior occurs if some registry permissions have been restricted.

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest we perform these steps to reset the registry permissions to the default settings:

1. Click Start, Run, type: "%windir%\help" and press Enter to open the Help folder.
    2. Click Start, Run, type: "%windir%\system32" and press Enter to open the System32 folder.
    3. Open the attachment secedit.zip, copy and paste the file secedit.exe into the System32 folder; copy and paste the file secedit.chm into the Help folder.

(attachment: secedit.zip)

4. Click Start, click Run, type the following command and then press ENTER

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

You will receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message.

Note: The command is complicated and I suggest you copy and paste the above command into the Run box.

After repairing the local security database, let's try to install IE 7 again. You can download the latest version of IE 7 from the link below:

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: xxxhttp://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

4. Please find the screenshot on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to: xxx@mssupport.com

Also, please send me the following log files:

1. Click Start and click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type "%windir%" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    3. Please send these files to my email address . if they do not exist, do not worry.

ie7_main.log
    ie7.log
    ie7Uninst.log

When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the email application being used. While you are composing the email, most applications will provide you with either an "Attach" button or Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file. After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and then clicking on the "Attach" button.
    Please try the above steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.

If my email address cannot be reached, please send the reply to my Team Leader Cindy J at xxx@mssupport.com or my Tech Lead Roger Y at xxx@mssupport.com. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. 

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Adam T  xxx@mssupport.com
    Microsoft Windows Support Professional

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:46 AM