Totally Off Topic - Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does anybody know the official deal with Windows 10?

Know its off topic, but guessing you guys will know! I've browsed 100's of sites this month, but they all contradict!

I've 3 PC's. Had all reserved until I read you were forced to install it, now I've cancelled 2. Some sites I read, 'once signed up, you don't have to install', others 'your forced to install (but at a time convenient to you (within a week))'. Some say its an 'update', others a 'clean install'?

I've been running Insider for months, and don't like it. It performs well, but the UI is soooooooo ugly and poor. Until they fix the UI, I'll stick with Windows 7. Performance is better than beauty? Tell me that after you roll into work on Monday morning, and are confronted with 50,000 shades of grey!!! And the resizing, you see more in a narrow window than in full screen???

Anyway, do I reserve or cancel all 3? I don't want to have to buy it later, when its free now, but I also don't want it now!

• Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, July 20, 2015 1:56 PM Incorrect forums
    • Changed type Just Karl Monday, July 20, 2015 7:23 PM It's a question
    Monday, July 20, 2015 2:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Why don't you post to a Windows forum?
    Monday, July 20, 2015 2:20 AM
  • Thanks DA

Not checked it out yet, but guess its better than wasting your time...

Would probably still get a more reliable answer here though!

Checked it out.. Doesn't do Windows 10, but thanks anyway
    • Edited by iCheck Monday, July 20, 2015 2:41 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 2:36 AM
  • Lol, I'm more scared of Windows 10 than the millennium bug (when I was a VB6 developer).

But only because nobody seems to know anything!

• Edited by iCheck Monday, July 20, 2015 2:57 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 2:52 AM
  • Lol, I'm more scared of Windows 10 than the millennium bug about now (when I was a VB6 developer)
    LOL! I'll get Win 10  just like I got Vista, 7 and 8 and go on about by business. :) And I won't worry about it. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense.
    Monday, July 20, 2015 3:02 AM
  • I'm a Windows developer, and have been for over 15 years. All my home PC's are Windows's 7, my work PC's Windows 8.1. I hate 8.1 (even after using it for years), and Vista (for business use is shocking). Windows 7 is almost perfect (using an SSD and 8gb).

I fear for my job, because I'd cant produce anything so ugly and badly designed.

Its not nonsense, I'll just switch to Apple (like my phone and pad). A device should only have 1 purpose!

I have a phone, a pad, a laptop and a desktop. I don't want to take my desktop to the park, and I don't want to type an essay on my phone!!!!

Like I said, I've been an Insider for months. It's Marmite!!!

• Edited by iCheck Monday, July 20, 2015 3:22 AM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 3:19 AM
  • I just cant get over the fact... No matter what size the window (except full screen), you see exactly the same information. Well unless you full screen and then you only get half of it! Its like watching a 3 year old learn CSS!
    Monday, July 20, 2015 4:01 AM
  • There is forum for Windows Insider Program that should help you find out the answer.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=WinPreview2014&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, July 20, 2015 7:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, October 23, 2015 10:57 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 7:24 AM
  • I'm a Windows developer, and have been for over 15 years. All my home PC's are Windows's 7, my work PC's Windows 8.1. I hate 8.1 (even after using it for years), and Vista (for business use is shocking). Windows 7 is almost perfect (using an SSD and 8gb).

Yeah, I have seen Vista being used at companies with no problems as a contractor. I have been doing IT since 1971 and started programming in 1980, and I have programmed on all the MS O/S(s) for Windows workstations all of them to date.  Windows 8 is the best Windows O/S MS has ever put out to be followed by Win 10 I suspect. People whined about Win Vista, I never had a problem with Vista and the companies I seen Vista used in had no problems either.

Who has got time to worry about it? Either you go to Win 10 or you don't. The choice is yours to make.

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:23 AM

I am administrator and programmer. And I don't see any technical addition that is worth having a new OS for.

Windows 7 is set up perfectly for the future.
    It supprts UEFI, IPv6, the new bootmanager. It can properly deal with SSD (like not defragmenting them). The new partitionign system. x64 technology.
    The installer makes a lot more sense and is easier adapted to stuff like live DVD or USB boot then ever.
    Even comfort functions like switching between audiooutputs dynamically is added. You can even boot it from a VM file (if you got the right license that is).

The general consensus among people I know and work with appears to be that "Windows 7 will be the new XP". In that it will be what all companies go for and thus what will be supported the longest. Long after it's intended end-date for sure (just like XP).
    There is no technology yet that Windows 7 does not support or is inherently designed against.

It might have actually been TO perfect. Since there is nothing meaningfull to add (that can't be done with a programm), it would be a terrible product for the future of any company.
    In that light switching the future of Windows and Office to a "Software as a Service" model makes a lot of sense. I am skeptically if that works out and I am in no haste to go to Windows 10. I might get myself a copy in store to get the DVD and to make some experiments with it in a VM.

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:52 AM
  • 'Who has got time to worry about it? Either you go to Win 10 or you don't. The choice is yours to make. '

I can do that for now for free, or pay £480 (3 * £160) later! I usually make time for something that is £480.

My original idea was to reserve now and install later but have since read the install is forced, hence my question.

Monday, July 20, 2015 2:41 PM