Money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an identical version of Money 2004 on two Xp machines.

My main pc runs Xp with sp2 and laptop xp with sp3. (Main pc is old and only has 256 ram so I chose not to instal sp3)

I have previously ran Money on the laptop with no problems and then removed it, however I now want to run a mirror of Money 2004 on both machines having found no other finance software I like. This  is where it gets weird. I have up to date data on my pc, but when I open the file which I copied from my flash drive it does open but only gives data to 25/3/2010. I have been back to the pc and the same file opens up to 25/3/2011 when I last input data.

I have reinstalled Money 3 tmes on my laptop but it still wont recognise any data in the last year. Any thoughts on this?

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:09 PM

All replies

• I have an identical version of Money 2004 on two Xp machines.

My main pc runs Xp with sp2 and laptop xp with sp3. (Main pc is old and only has 256 ram so I chose not to instal sp3)

I have previously ran Money on the laptop with no problems and then removed it, however I now want to run a mirror of Money 2004 on both machines having found no other finance software I like. This  is where it gets weird. I have up to date data on my pc, but when I open the file which I copied from my flash drive it does open but only gives data to 25/3/2010. I have been back to the pc and the same file opens up to 25/3/2011 when I last input data.

I have reinstalled Money 3 tmes on my laptop but it still wont recognise any data in the last year. Any thoughts on this?

With Windows 7 and Vista, it is important to not have your Moneydata files within the ProgramFiles folder.

Be sure that your Money (*.mny) and backup (*.mbf) files are copied
    to a spot that you will have full privileges to, such as Documents.
    If they are in a place like ProgramFiles, Windows 7 will create an
    impermanent copy of the file for the user to use, unless the user
    explicitly right-clicks at launch and choose RunAsAdministrator
    that time.

After you open your Money file on your new setup, whatever version,
    change the location to which Money backs up to a location that
    exists on the new computer -- typically your Documents folder or a
    sub-folder in Documents.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387 Scenario 2 (two instances) for an explaination including where to find those missing files.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 4:26 PM