Windows Firewall instead of Onecare Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• All,

is there a way to tell Onecare to disable its own firewall and then enable the Windows Firewall on Windows XP SP3?

I thought this would be possible, however, when I turned off the Onecare Firewall, the system would not let me turn on the Windows Firewall.

What is the solution here?

Best Regards

John Holmblad
    Friday, August 29, 2008 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hello John, One Care disables the Windows firewall to prevent users from accidently running two firewalls. Turning off the One Care firewall for any length of time is a fairly unpleasant experience since you will be constantly reminded to turn it back on. The One Care firewall is far more configurable and robust than the Windows firewall so I am curious as to why you would prefer to use the Windows firewall.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hello John, One Care disables the Windows firewall to prevent users from accidently running two firewalls. Turning off the One Care firewall for any length of time is a fairly unpleasant experience since you will be constantly reminded to turn it back on. The One Care firewall is far more configurable and robust than the Windows firewall so I am curious as to why you would prefer to use the Windows firewall.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:52 AM
  • JimR1,

thanks for your response.

When I replaced Symantec Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2003, I assumed, incorrectly, that I could use the Onecare A/V, along with the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, both of which I already understand how to use quite well. I don't have a lot of time to put up the good fight with yet another firewall product which it typically what the user has to do during the "learning phase" of a firewall filter rule set. I was extremely disappoint to learn that the only way I can mainpulate the Onecare firewall is by switching context to an account (remember my comment above about lack of time) that has administrator priveleges in order to help the firewall to learn about more applications,TCP/UDP ports,and other protocols. NIS (and remember it was the 2003 version so it was designed circa 2001/2002) was designed very smartly insofar as its firewall component is concerned. During initial configuration it allowed the assignment of relatively fine grained priveleges to each user account on a Windiwos XP system (e.g. to make decisions about firewall rules, etc.).  In other words the designers of this software thought more deeply about the problem of the fiewall filter "learning" phase and thereby came up with a much more useable and better product than the Onecare Firewall.

Now I am left with the problem of SMB/CIFS network browsing not working on my Windows XP SP3 system that has Onecare installed. I have already spent many hours trying to solve this on my home office network which, for the first time in ~8 years is having SMB/CIFS problems due to this changeover. 

This is turning out to be a real time eater and I am very unhappy about that.

I am glad that Onceare is not being marketed under the Microsoft Forefront security brand because, based on my own experience and what I have read,  to have done so would have hurt whatever Brand equity the Forefront brand has gotten so far (which is not much) in the marketplace for world class security products.

I should add that I am well aware of the many negative comments about both Symantec and Mcafee products as well. However, it turns out that my experience with both Symantec NIS 2003 and Symantec A/V for my lab network of servers was actually quite good.

Best Regards

John Holmblad

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:55 PM
  • John,

OneCare is not a mix and match product.

-steve

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Steve,

let me correct you there.

Actually Onecare IS a mix and match product in one of its components, that is with respect to backup.

Onecare is smart enough to check for the presence of the Windows Home Server connector during the config phase, and upon finding it, gives the user the option to disable Onecare backup.  This is, in part, why I expected, once I realized that Onecare has its own firewall, that Onecare would also give me the option to select either the Onecare firewall or the Windows Firewall.

By the way, is there a way for me to get a file dump of all of the firewall rules that Onecare has set up?

My assumption is that the firewall components of the network interface protocol stack refer to a file that contains the rules that are created either by Onecare or the Windows Firewall GUI.

Best Regards

John Holmblad

Sunday, September 7, 2008 3:00 PM