CRM 4.0 (on premise) to CRM 2011 (on premise) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Within my organization we need to create a new CRM 2011 (on premise) test environment from our current live CRM 4.0 (on premise) environment. Obvioulsy we need to keep the live 4.0 environment running. Can anyone help with how this can be completed - from what I have read upgrading from 4.0 to 2011 will, after migration, disable the 4.0 enviroment.

Thanks,

Steven

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:43 PM

Answers

• As long as the new SQL instance and Windows Server is separate from the CRM 4 webserver and sql you should be good to go. How are you handling the CRM urls for the two CRM systems? There could be some conflicts there? Also, there could be issues with the users' outlook CRM client synchronization. You will probably need to lock down the test environment.
    Jerry CRM Innovation - Need a solution for CRM to help you manage Events or Email Marketing? Follow me on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by StevenBIS Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:41 PM

All replies

• Steve,

One scenario is that you will need to install CRM 2011 on a different server and have a different instance of SQl. The way I would do this is to setup a Hyper V image off the current server (assuming it is Windows Server 2008 64 bit) and install CRM into that image. Saves from having to buy more hardware. You will also want to check the implementation guide to confirm that your current environment will support the 2011 system.

Jerry CRM Innovation - Need a solution for CRM to help you manage Events or Email Marketing? Follow me on Twitter
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your response. We have the Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Environment setup ready to install 2011. Once the 2011 install is complete if I follow the steps outlined in the Install guide (below) will my production 4.0 enviroment remain intact?

1.     Restore the organization databases to the SQL Server that will be maintaining the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 databases.

2.     Start Deployment Manager on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Server and run the Import Organization Wizard to import and upgrade one or more Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 organizations into the new Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 deployment.

3.     Verify that the new deployment functions as expected.

Thanks,

Steven

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:01 PM
  • As long as the new SQL instance and Windows Server is separate from the CRM 4 webserver and sql you should be good to go. How are you handling the CRM urls for the two CRM systems? There could be some conflicts there? Also, there could be issues with the users' outlook CRM client synchronization. You will probably need to lock down the test environment.
    • Marked as answer by StevenBIS Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Jerry! All users CRM clients will continue to point to the live environment, so fine there. Should've mentioned that the test system is on a different server than the production environment, so URLs should be ok.

Thanks again,

Steven

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:53 PM