Join the ubuntu home server team RRS feed

• General discussion

• Join the ubuntu home server team now!!!!
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

• --UBUNTU HOME SERVER--
    Project page
    Project Forums

--UBUNTU--
    Ubuntu home page

Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:14 PM
  • come back with an actual product and not an idea

Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:32 PM
  • If we got some help there would be a product
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I will let this stand for the moment, but it's off topic for these forums. Please make this thread relevant or it's in danger of being deleted. And please link URLs properly (see above).
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:06 PM
  • I'm sorry about the links and why is this thread not relavent
    EDIT: I see where I put it now If you'd like you could move to another area in The Windows Home Server Forum
    Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:34 PM
  • Do you go to Chrysler forums to find out about GM cars?  If you answered no to this question, you now know the answer to your relevance question.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:19 PM
  • I've been there half a year ago or see. Nothing much other then drawing up a wish list seems to have happened since.

@ Ken, why not move it to developers section? Perhaps someone there is interested.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:36 PM
  • (moved to developers section, as it's less inappropriate there...)

There are lots of wish lists in the UHS forums. Most of them are attempts to create a "better" product than WHS by bolting on everything but the kitchen sink. To me, one of the things that makes WHS great is that it's not an 80 lb. Swiss Army knife, (which Microsoft is regrettably good at building Smile ). The rest of them are rehashes of the feature set of WHS.

Personally, I hope that UHS achieves a reasonable measure of success. It's never bad for there to be competition in a market segment, except for the "first to market" product. But UHS won't gain success by imitating WHS. There's a core group of features that any player in this field will have to have, but there's certainly a lot of room for improvement and innovation.

UHS will not, however, achieve success by imitating WHS, and it won't do so by just throwing features at Ubuntu to see what sticks. It will take some vision and control of the project.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 5:33 AM
  • I think the other big issue is that this forum is full of WHS people, and I think it is a pretty safe assumption that they run mostly MS homes.  I doubt UHS will be able to integrate with my windows clients at any where near the level of WHS.  Not to mention stream to my Xbox and all the other great stuff Smile

UHS is probably a great idea for people with homes running straight *nix machines

Just trying to suggest this isn't the best recruitment ground, but good luck.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Could Microsoft have Included Samba in the 360? Yes
    Could Microsoft have made it easier to share files and printers to *nix machines ? Yes
    The open source comunity is doing it best and I admit I boot up XP when I want to watch a movie on my 360
    Friday, November 23, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Well I don't think anyone in here wants to get into a Business Stratgey debate, nor a *nix vs. MS debate. 

I'm just pointing out that while some of us would love to see UHS take off, I don't think you are going to get the support you are looking for.

Dan
    Friday, November 23, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I'm not sure, but are we getting support for WHS?  It's OEM based, so my guess is that we don't.

However, I like the idea of UHS, but I doubt indeed that it will intergrate as much as WHS does in my Windows based network. I've used Linux a while, mostly for the tasks my WHS is now doing, to learn about it. Linux is great but still has a long way to go to be accepted by the public.

And to be accepted by the public, Linux should first of all be easy in use and support games. And I don't mean the exeptions like Quake Wars! But all games that are being released like Call of Duty 4,  CnC: Tiberium Wars & Test Drive to name a few.

At the moment I'm very happy with my Windows systems. Smile
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:42 AM