WHS Backup Strategy? RRS feed

• Question

• With all the excitement about RC1 coming soon and the need for a "Clean install" I'm curious is there a simple Backup solution for an existing WHS? The drives and data in my WHS are naturally the largest on any of my computers. So how is everyone doing their backups? Would the simplest way be to use a USB hardrive and simply copy all of the shared folders from WHS to the USB? If I attempt to backup to clients on the LAN I'll end up with files and folders everywhere.
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 11:53 PM

All replies

• The simplest solution, if you have at least two drives, should be to detach all but your installation drive. Install RC1, then start attaching drives one at a time and copying data from them to the network shares. As you copy the contents of each drive, you can then add it to the storage pool.

But first make a full backup of everything just in case; using a USB drive for that would make sense.
    Sunday, June 3, 2007 12:38 AM
  • If you are like many of us, you can also use a NAS for backing up. That how I wil be doing it.
    Monday, June 4, 2007 5:58 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The simplest solution, if you have at least two drives, should be to detach all but your installation drive. Install RC1, then start attaching drives one at a time and copying data from them to the network shares. As you copy the contents of each drive, you can then add it to the storage pool.

But first make a full backup of everything just in case; using a USB drive for that would make sense.

After installing RC1 on my Primary Master drive (only hardrive connected) I then connect 2nd hardrive to Secondary Slave, then Add to WHS option in control panel, WHS says it is Formating then will Add  to storage.

Is this correct? I had no option to

then start attaching drives one at a time and copying data from them to the network shares.

I have 1 drive left that was my 3rd drive before RC1, to add and would like to add it without loosing my data if possiable. Can I?

Friday, June 15, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I have my last drive left from my WHS CTP install. It should have all data backed up from the CTP since it was configured as a storage drive with Drive Extender working on WHS. How can I save the data from the drive and install the drive into RC1?
    Monday, June 18, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Ron, all you need to do is hook it up. Don't do anything in the WHS Console, and it'll get assigned a drive letter. All your files should be in E:\DE\shares\<sharename>. So you'll log in to WHS using Remote Desktop, and copy from that location to \\server\<sharename>. Follow?
    Monday, June 18, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Thank You Ken, I did just that. I RDP into WHS computer and can see 3 drives. C: SYS, D: DATA, F:Local Disk.  My WHS has 2 drives installed  #1- C:/D:  #2 not showing when I RDP #3-F, is this correct? When I click on F: I am advised that the disk is not formated and can go no further. If I open a command prompt and try to open F: I am advised that it is an unrecognized format and cannot be read. Any advice?
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:04 PM