Network Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WD NetCenter drive I'd like to use for backup. Does the backup destination have to be the storage pool? In other words, can the WHS map a drive on the network?

George

Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:41 PM

Answers

• No, you can't make a NAS device part of your storage pool, at least not as NAS. If you can connect it as DAS instead, then it can be added to the pool.

And you can't control where (what drive) WHS chooses to store any of the data you place on it, either data in shares or backups. So you wouldn't be able to direct backups to a network drive.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 2:02 AM

All replies

• No it doesn't. I have a 500GB Ext HDD that I shared on the network that is not part of the WHS storage. Just shared out as usual and WHS will also put it on the Shared Folder Server.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:46 PM
  • Can be made a part of the WHS storage pool?

I am in the process of downloading the beta and getting my system together. I just want to have a hardware configuration plan.

Thanks

Friday, April 20, 2007 12:46 AM
  • No, you can't make a NAS device part of your storage pool, at least not as NAS. If you can connect it as DAS instead, then it can be added to the pool.

And you can't control where (what drive) WHS chooses to store any of the data you place on it, either data in shares or backups. So you wouldn't be able to direct backups to a network drive.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 2:02 AM
  • oops... sorry I gave you the wrong info. I should of lookup what is a WD NetCenter.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 4:40 AM
  • Thanks, Ken! I am trying to justify the need for WHS for my home network solution. I will install this weekend and refrain from posts until afterwards.

George 

Friday, April 20, 2007 5:14 AM
  • No Problem! I will install this weekend and refrain from posts until afterwards.

Thanks for your help!

Friday, April 20, 2007 5:17 AM