Thoughts on Pricing of the Office Genuine Advantage Kit RRS feed

• Question

• MS has recently extended the concept of the Windows Genuine Advantage Kit to the MS Office family of productivity software.

Users who are notified by the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) utility that their installations of Office are nongenuine are extended an offer to purchase one of three OGA kits directly from MS.  The three options are:

1.  Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition (STE), at $139.00USD incl shipping.

2.  Office 2003 Small Business Edition (SMB), at $269.00USD incl shipping.

3.  Office 2003 Professional Edition (PRO), at $359.00 incl shipping.

After taking a look at real world pricing in local stores and at a trusted major online retailer**, these offerings may not be very attractive.

First, there is the cited 4-6 week shipping time that most folks will find exasperating when everyone knows that UPS ground is cheap and gets small stuff like software anywhere in seven days or less.

Those interested in STE might be better off buying the product at a local big box retail store, which often have 2003 STE on sale for $99-$129.  Or, they can download the trial version of the Office 2007 equivalent called "Home and Student" which is good for 60 days, then pay MS $149 for the perpetual license once the trial period expires.

Those interested in SMB might be better off purchasing an OEM license at an online retailer for $239.99, or a retail upgrade license from the same retailer for $245.99 if they own any of the myriad previous Works or Office programs that qualify for upgrading.  Or, if upgrading, they might be better off upgrading to Office 2007 SMB for $279 from MS.

Those interested in PRO might be better off buying the same 2003 Pro retail product for the same $359 at an online retailer, or if they have a qualifying Works or Office program, to purchase a retail upgrade of Office 2003 for $265.99 at the online retailer, or purchase the retail upgrade of Office 2007 Pro for $329 from MS.

Those who had the entire Office Suite but really only used MS Word can economically purchase Word 2002 as part of MS Works Suite 2006 for $47.99 after a $20 rebate at the same online retailer.

For those interested in SMB and PRO, there may be one major advantage to buying the OGA Kit, and that is if MS ships the standard full retail license of the software, as they do with XP's WGA Kit, the licenses will be good for installation on two computers:  the license holder's main desktop computer and the license holder's personally owned portable (aka laptop) computer.  If this is your situation, this provision of the retail license effective cuts the per installation price in half and may be the deciding point in your calculations.

**The online retailer's name will remain unwritten, but if you want to do the research for yourself, it rhymes with "crew peg."

Saturday, December 2, 2006 1:27 AM

Answers

• Dan:

Apologies for the late response. Unfortuantely, i cannot speak for the corporate licensing teams here at MSFT - but I have forwarded your inquiry to the teams responsible for pricing policy.

I do believe that it has much to do with FPP (Full Packaged Product) versus OEM and support costs, which is (many of the times) why OEM is cheaper than FPP.

-phil

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:23 AM

All replies

• is there any harm in telling your store details. its going to help ms anyway isnt it if u are also genuinely selling their products...

i have a office 97 original version, i think business edition , is there any upgrade possible for it? how much it will cost for ms access 2000? wud be thankful if anyone gives a reply soon.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 2:50 PM
  • Dan:

Apologies for the late response. Unfortuantely, i cannot speak for the corporate licensing teams here at MSFT - but I have forwarded your inquiry to the teams responsible for pricing policy.

I do believe that it has much to do with FPP (Full Packaged Product) versus OEM and support costs, which is (many of the times) why OEM is cheaper than FPP.

-phil

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:23 AM