1 drive WHS reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching for hours to see if I can find a topic on this specific topic. I have a drive setup in hardware RAID config (I know it isnt supported) but the point is that WHS only sees 1 disk. I think the boot sys 20G partition is corrupted due to the sever bouncing a few times due to power issues. When I boot up with the DVD, it sees the 1 drive and it gives me the "Server Reinstallation" option, but I want to ask to see if anyone knows if this "Server Reinstallation" will only mess with the 20GB C:\ partition or mess with the whole disk? I have a few TB's of data and REALLY want to preserve the data.

Any thoughts?

Sunday, January 16, 2011 6:27 AM

Answers

• I thought I would post the technical answer to my question. Yes. I have a RAID setup as (1) 8TB drive and installed WHS to this one drive a couple years ago. Of course when all is said and done the WHS creates a C:\ and D:\ drive. I have verified that a "Server Reinstallation" ONLY blows away the C:\ drive. I have blown it away about 6 times in the last 2 days trying to troubleshoot my issue and have yet to notice any data loss on the D:\ drive where the shares live. I will mark this as answered.
    • Marked as answer by bond007taz Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:46 AM

All replies

• From the WHS Console Help and searching for "Server Reinstallation".

Windows Home Server Reinstallation

Installed yourself

If you installed Windows Home Server yourself, reset it by using the Server Reinstallation procedure.

A server reinstallation reinstalls your system partition, deletes your user accounts, resets your server settings, and removes any installed programs. The files in your shared folders and your computer backups are saved.

To reset Windows Home Server using the Server Reinstallation procedure

Place the Windows Home Server DVD in the drive of your home server.
    Restart the computer and boot from the DVD. Windows Home Server Setup starts.
    Follow Setup as described in your Windows Home Server Getting Started guide.
    On the Select an Installation Type page, select Server Reinstallation.
    On the Windows Home Server password page, type a password, a password confirmation, and a password hint. The password you type is your new Windows Home Server password. Make sure the password hint helps you remember the new password.
    Note
    If you have misplaced your Windows Home Server Getting Started guide, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Web site (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=85098).
    Important
    After you reset Windows Home Server, you must reinstall the Windows Home Server Connector software on each of your home computers.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    I have been searching for hours to see if I can find a topic on this specific topic. I have a drive setup in hardware RAID config (I know it isnt supported) but the point is that WHS only sees 1 disk. I think the boot sys 20G partition is corrupted due to the sever bouncing a few times due to power issues. When I boot up with the DVD, it sees the 1 drive and it gives me the "Server Reinstallation" option, but I want to ask to see if anyone knows if this "Server Reinstallation" will only mess with the 20GB C:\ partition or mess with the whole disk? I have a few TB's of data and REALLY want to preserve the data.

Any thoughts?

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:45 PM
  • I thought I would post the technical answer to my question. Yes. I have a RAID setup as (1) 8TB drive and installed WHS to this one drive a couple years ago. Of course when all is said and done the WHS creates a C:\ and D:\ drive. I have verified that a "Server Reinstallation" ONLY blows away the C:\ drive. I have blown it away about 6 times in the last 2 days trying to troubleshoot my issue and have yet to notice any data loss on the D:\ drive where the shares live. I will mark this as answered.
    • Marked as answer by bond007taz Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:47 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:46 AM