Bought Frontpage 03, but think it might be trial version RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought Frontpage 2003, complete with product key. This party said they'd decided to use a different program for their web design needs.

I loaded it successfully.  However the wizard stated "Begin MS Office FP 2003 Trial,"  Later in the install wizard I was asked, "Activate now?"  1) over internet (recommended); 2) do not want trial version but convert to full product now.  I chose option 1, the response stated my trial version is good through 8/31/07.

It was at this time I realized something might be wrong.

Product key, in case you can check for me, is: *****-*****-*****-*****-*****. 

I called support on the issue.  He could not help me and sent me to online support.  If it's not genuine, or is a trial, I will dispute with my credit card company and gladly forward the seller's info to you.

I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Thank you.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 8:15 PM

Answers

•  k2f wrote:

I recently bought Frontpage 2003, complete with product key. This party said they'd decided to use a different program for their web design needs.

I loaded it successfully.  However the wizard stated "Begin MS Office FP 2003 Trial,"  Later in the install wizard I was asked, "Activate now?"  1) over internet (recommended); 2) do not want trial version but convert to full product now.  I chose option 1, the response stated my trial version is good through 8/31/07.

I called support on the issue.  He could not help me and sent me to online support.  If it's not genuine, or is a trial, I will dispute with my credit card company and gladly forward the seller's info to you.

Thank you.

Hi K2f,

I took the liberty and edited your post to remove the product key, it could easily get stolen by being posted.   The only time you would want to provide your product key online is when you are dealing directly with Microsoft product support via email.  Then it's safe.  The support engineer won't abuse your trust and use your product key; they would only use it for troubleshooting purposes.

OK...now to your problem with FrontPage 2003.  The first thing I noticed is that the product key you posted was only 20 characters.  They are typicaly 25-characters.  Then to your question about the install wizard stating that it's a 'trial version', that will be true.  If it says trail, it is a trial.  You can convert trial to retail (full product) by purchasing through the wizard.

Since you just purchased this copy, I would definately report it to Microsoft.  There is typically never an upfront charge for trial software.  The only time when you pay is *if* you choose to convert to a full copy because you liked the software. 

You can report the piracy to MS here:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

I would also recommend disputing the credit card charge for the FrontPage 2003.  Did you only buy FrontPage, or any other Office suite from the reseller?

Let me know.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:06 PM
  •  k2f wrote:

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply.  Apologies for displaying the key and my ignorance.  Yes, there are 25 characters.  Must have left off one set of five. 

I will follow up on my end with both of your suggestions.  I only bought Front Page.  Suite came with my computer.

Btw, is MS still making FrontPage available as a trial now that it's been changed?

Thx.

Hi,

You could choose to convert the FrontPage 2003 Trial edition that you currently have to a full version by following the prompts in the install wizard (if that is what you would like to do).

You might also look at the new options for FrontPage users:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/frontpage/FX100743231033.aspx and see if you like this better.

Good luck!!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:46 PM

All replies

•  k2f wrote:

I recently bought Frontpage 2003, complete with product key. This party said they'd decided to use a different program for their web design needs.

Thank you.

Hi K2f,

I took the liberty and edited your post to remove the product key, it could easily get stolen by being posted.   The only time you would want to provide your product key online is when you are dealing directly with Microsoft product support via email.  Then it's safe.  The support engineer won't abuse your trust and use your product key; they would only use it for troubleshooting purposes.

OK...now to your problem with FrontPage 2003.  The first thing I noticed is that the product key you posted was only 20 characters.  They are typicaly 25-characters.  Then to your question about the install wizard stating that it's a 'trial version', that will be true.  If it says trail, it is a trial.  You can convert trial to retail (full product) by purchasing through the wizard.

Since you just purchased this copy, I would definately report it to Microsoft.  There is typically never an upfront charge for trial software.  The only time when you pay is *if* you choose to convert to a full copy because you liked the software. 

You can report the piracy to MS here:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

I would also recommend disputing the credit card charge for the FrontPage 2003.  Did you only buy FrontPage, or any other Office suite from the reseller?

Let me know.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply.  Apologies for displaying the key and my ignorance.  Yes, there are 25 characters.  Must have left off one set of five. 

I will follow up on my end with both of your suggestions.  I only bought Front Page.  Suite came with my computer.

Btw, is MS still making FrontPage available as a trial now that it's been changed?

Thx.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 9:27 PM
  •  k2f wrote:

Hi Michelle,

Thx.

Hi,

You could choose to convert the FrontPage 2003 Trial edition that you currently have to a full version by following the prompts in the install wizard (if that is what you would like to do).

You might also look at the new options for FrontPage users:  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/frontpage/FX100743231033.aspx and see if you like this better.

Good luck!!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:46 PM