Sql Express provider clarification needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm new to sync framework and currently investigating it to see if I can use it in a development that requires to sync data between a central office using sql server standard and remote offices using sql server express. The sync will be bidirectional.
    I'm very enthusiastic about this possibility and I think the SyncFx its just the way to go, but I have read a lot of articles and checked examples and I have some questions I need to clarify before moving forward.

1) I have seen in the example for SQL Server - Sql Server express client synchronization that you need to program your own sql express client provider. Why is this? Why can't I just use the DbServerSyncProvider in both ends?

2) In the same example, the client database holds two metadata tables named "anchor" and "guid" while the server database doesn't. I guess this is related to the first question but I can't see why. 

The example I'm talking about is this:

3) I have seen also the Peer to Peer architecture and I think it can also suit my needs in this scenario. Which are the main differences I have to take into account to select one or another? I'm thinking that bidirectional Client-Server sync is a special case of P2P in this case and that going from scratch with a P2P architecture gives me the flexibility to sync between clients in the future.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:06 AM

Answers