Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just read the announcement of Microsoft plans to end Windows Live OneCare and offer a free security sytem sometime in 2009.  I have used OneCare since the first Beta edition and am sorry to learn this product will be discontinued.  I understand that it will likely be available when my subscription renews in April; however, I will have to decide what I want to do.  Over the years, I have used both Norton and McAfee which brought me nothing but headaches. My niece has virus after virus with one of them and just paid out big dollars to have her computers fixed.   With OneCare, I have never had a virus and never had a problem with my computers that was attributed to OneCare.  I use OneCare on multiple computers and have recommended it to relatives and friends.  It truly is the most reliable security product I have ever used.  Thank you Microsoft for developing an all inclusive software package.  I am hopeful that Moro or whatever the new free product Microsoft offers will do for me what I need.  I dread going to something that takes possession of my computer, freezes screens, and generally doesn't perform.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 4:41 AM

All replies

• Hey aaalare,

I also read the stunning announcement and was immediately confronted by thoughts that I had to return to Norton Internet Security or similar products, with all the hassle and "not nice to have's" that comes with these products. Like you I have been very pleased with OneCare and hoped it could stay on my three computers for the years to come.

So I was a little bitter and sad, when I read, that Microsoft will discontinue this security-maintenance suite as of June 2009.

Actually we dont know if the new no-charge product, Moro, or what it is named will able to substitute OneCare, and when free of charge, what can we expect ? - will we have to go through another period of time with a newly developed product, containing the potential hassle with bugs ect. to wind up where we are now in a couple of years ?

I must say I do not understand why Microsoft puts so much (ressources) into development and marketing of OneCare - not to mention the tremendous effort brought forth by moderators and members of this Forum - and then when things seems to indicate it is here to stay, we get the sad, stunning news!

Well, we will have to see what happens in the next six months...

Anders

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:11 PM
  • From what I've heard Moro is only a spyware tool.  No Backups, no defrags,etc.  What happens to my backups made under OneCare?  Will they be readable?
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:28 PM
  •  JonAnders wrote:
    From what I've heard Moro is only a spyware tool.  No Backups, no defrags,etc.  What happens to my backups made under OneCare?  Will they be readable?

We don't know what options will be offered, but OneCare backups can be opened and read by 3rd party compression tools such as WinZip. Larger files that have split before being saved into multiple .zip file will need to be re-joined. This can be accomplished with this free utility:

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:31 PM