none
SyncFX 2.1 and FileSyncProvider RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Great new with the SyncFX 2.1. I read the news and marvel at the upgrade on the SqlCe metastore to SQL 2008. I hope to access the metastore, but the files (*.sdfs) are password protected when using native FileSyncProvider. My quesions are:

1. Can't I access the metastore and what would be the native password? Tried 100 combination - but none.
    2. If I can access the metastore, is it possible to upgrade this (as per the news) to SQL 2008 format, and access data from the metastore?

Best regards 

Monday, August 23, 2010 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I added a new CodePlex project with a set of custom built "extended" filesystemprovider and metastore. Please visit http://syncfxext.codeplex.com/ for more information. I added my business logic into this extended version, and solved my issues to access the metastore.

Please feel free to contribute or add to the project.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Rasmus Foged Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:32 AM
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi -

I am sorry - I did not understand what the you mean by the upgrade from SQLCe metastore to SQL 2008 means? The FileSyncProvider still users SQL CE ( our own version of it as a matter of fact) so you will be unable to access it using any current tools ( it is possible an older version of SSMS might be able to access it). But this is not supported.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Deepa,

I thought the news related to the release of SyncFX 2.1 was upgrade on the internal locked version of SQLCE to SQLCE2008R2 :(

So I cannot access the metastore to change/manipulate data within the metastore outside my SyncFX framework - but is it possible to build a custom SyncFX metastore "provider" then? We solved our design today by implementing two stores (one with SyncFX, one outside) and then a custom filesync provider looking into the two of them. I wish to simplify the design.

Regards

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Hi -

That is correct - you cannot access the metadata store that we ship with bits outside the framework. You can implement your own provider that accesses metadata from any store - not only our metadata store. If your design is not satisfied by only our metadata store - you should implement your own and then use only that.

Thanks
    Deepa

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:20 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi there,

I added a new CodePlex project with a set of custom built "extended" filesystemprovider and metastore. Please visit http://syncfxext.codeplex.com/ for more information. I added my business logic into this extended version, and solved my issues to access the metastore.

Please feel free to contribute or add to the project.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Rasmus Foged Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:32 AM
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:32 AM