the device is not connected RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS after a disk crash, preformed a new install. then I restored my data from a backup tape.
    when I access files on my shares I get a message that says ""the device is not connected" Is there a way to correct this? 
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:12 PM

All replies

• Backing up and restore Windows Home Server to/from tape is not supported - only scripts or using the Backup to disk function in the console works. In your case you may not have backed up the real data, but only the tombstones, which are stored in d:\shares. There are no real files stored in that place, so if you did rely on that backup and did not by some luck include the subfolders of D:\DE\shares and c:\fs\<various volume mount points>\DE\shares, a restore will not be possible (maybe, if the data disks are still empty, you can use a 3rd party recovery program to undo the formatting).

In case you have saved the mentioned folders or after a successfull unformat you can check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to see, how you have to bring them back to the system. (Before doing that, clean out the subfolders of Shares besides those, which have been created by WHS.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:14 PM