Stuck in TuneUp RRS feed

• Question

• Running OneCare on a older Sony Laptop (runs XP SP2, software fully ungraded) - OneCare gets stuck in the tune-up phase - can't stop it, can't stop the popup screen.  Stop OneCare, restart OneCare - same problem.  Restart laptop - same problem.

Ben

Monday, March 31, 2008 8:54 PM

Answers

• A OneCare Tune-up will take about 60 to 90 minutes on average. With larger hard drives, and especially large external drives attached, this time can be very much longer.

However, in your case, the problem is that Tune-up isn't able to start because it is bumping into something. Since the PC is pretty much useless once it gets into that state,  I suggest a reinstall of OneCare or contact support, Ben.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:55 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by "stuck?"

What is it doing when you believe it is stuck and how long are you leaving it before rebooting the PC or restarting OneCare?

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:48 AM
  • As soon as this laptop completes OS and OneCare load, a large popup window appears to notify me that I should do a tuneup.  When I click on the start tuneup button - a smaller window appears that states that another module is running and tuneup cannot be run until completed.

I have waited 30 minutes - laptop is unusable during this time, the large popup window will not go away, returns and returns and saps resources.  Normal tuneup on this laptop runs about 15 minutes.

I am also running OneCare on a Dell 9200 with Vista Business - this particular event has not happened on the Dell.. Sometimes the laptop is not used for weeks and there is a series of updates that it will perform before completly loading and making itself available for use (for lack of a better description).  The Dell has had occasional OneCare module corruption problems that have been solved by the tech people at OneCare.

Ben 

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:20 PM
  • A OneCare Tune-up will take about 60 to 90 minutes on average. With larger hard drives, and especially large external drives attached, this time can be very much longer.

However, in your case, the problem is that Tune-up isn't able to start because it is bumping into something. Since the PC is pretty much useless once it gets into that state,  I suggest a reinstall of OneCare or contact support, Ben.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:55 PM