none
Synctoy does not adjust to dynamic drive letter changes

Question

• I have been successfully using Synctoy for a few weeks now. However, my flash drive dynamic letter has changed from F to G and now Synctoy gives me an error message "failed to execute folder pair @@Data1. Could not locate folder F:\@@Data1."

I am using Synctoy 2.0 , version 2.0.100.0 from Aug 2008 build. I checked other threads in the forum stating that the dynamic drive letter problem had been fixed in 2008. I am using XP.

How can I get Synctoy to work when my drive letters may change?

Thanks for any help on this.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:58 PM

All replies

• HI Larry,

I have created the same folder name as "@@Data1" in my flash disk, but didn't repor this issue.

And yes, Synctoy2.0 support dynamic drive letter. The premise that you DO NOT delete "SyncToy_*.dat" in your flash
    driver folder "@@Data1". Synctoy identify dynamic drive letteer by using it. You may take try again.

if this issue have blocked your sync, please delete the old pair and create a new folder pair on SyncToy2 to make a try.

any problem please let me know. thanks.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 5:55 AM
  • Synctoy GUI screen does support Dynamic drive Assignment, but SyncToyCmd.exe does Not, this is a problem

I am using eSATA docked disks to copy files from my NAS (Left)  to one of three active Disks. (right)
    Each have the correct Synctoy dat file copied into the right root folder pair
    Disk Management mounts them currently as E: F: or G:
    Using Synctoy GUI, the drive moves correctly
    Using SyncToyCmd.exe,  I get the following output at the DOS prompt  when the current drive assignment in the GUI is G:\xxx_backups

c:\>"C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R "XXXTera to USB Disk"

Failed to execute folder pair XXXTera to USB Disk. Could not locate folder F:\xxx_backups\.

It ran perfectly subsequently using the GUI and the drive assignment in the GUI moved to F:\xxx_backups

The GUI version records a log file, the Command line version does not and needs an option although scheduler options - R "My folder pair" >> x:\abc\logfiled.log will work, but not if there are errors

My workaround is to change the drive letter assigmnment when performing the weekly change of Docked disk.

Many thanks - Jim

p.s. this does provide the simplest and cheapest way to  backup a small network (< 1TB) I have found. Workstations to Network server, Servers to Embedded disk, SQL server backups direct to NAS,  Synctoy from embedded Server backup disks to NAS, and from Networked workstation backup files to NAS, then copy of NAS files to a docked eSATA disks (three) on server, One Disk in Dock, one in Safe, one in the Car or offsite.

House burns down  - copy in Car/offsite
    There are also three accessible versions of backup for workstations, last backup, on server, previous - on NAS, lastweek in safe, last fortnight in car/offsite.

Jimbo
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:38 PM
  • Jimbo,

Can you tell me how I execute SyncToy GUI instead of using the synctoycmd.exe file?

My workaround was to create a new set of folder pairs for Drive G. I check to see which drive is assigned to the flash drive and then select the corresponding folder pairs. I'm curious about the GUI.

Thanks,
    Larry
    Monday, March 23, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Jim

If you're backing up to NAS, you should check the integrity of the copied files - Microsoft have confirmed that there is a problem with Synctoy2.0 and certain types of NAS.  The files I have found to become corrupt are JPEGs and MP3 files, but without knowing the details I would be very uncertain about trusting Synctoy in this application.

There is another thread on this forum - do a search for 'corrupt' - that gives more details.

Hopefully a new version will be released soon.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 7:55 AM
  •  HI Larry,

I thought Jimbo said SyncToy GUI means SyncToy.exe, it supported dynamic driver letter assignment. Also Jimbo is right, SyncToyCmd.exe NOT support dynamic driver letter on currently version of synctoy 2.0(hope next version will provide this feature).  For now, if you are using a thumb driver and met drive letter changed situation, please using SyncToy.exe, it will solve you problem.

I assume the below informs(form SyncToy Help) will give you some help:

Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment

Oftentimes the drive letter assigned to one or both sides of a folder pair may change. As a result, the path originally allocated to that folder changes as well. When the path associated with the left or right side of a folder pair cannot be located, SyncToy loops through all existing drive letter assignments and attempts to locate that folder. SyncToy uses the information located in the SyncToy[ID].bin file to locate the correct folder. If it is located, the new drive letter will be associated with the folder pair and the folder pair will be executed.

For example, you may choose to create a folder pair with the left folder assigned to G:\MyFolder. This folder may be located on a removable device and the next time you plug in that device Windows may assign a different drive letter because G: is currently being used by another device or network share. Consequently, the new drive letter assignment results in what was G:\MyFolder becoming h:\MyFolder. SyncToy is able to detect this change and update your folder pair accordingly.

Note: If the replica root on a removable drive is read-only this feature will not work. Also, if you happen to delete the marker file (SyncToy_[ID].dat) that SyncToy places in the left or right folders for the folder pair and then have a drive letter change, this feature may not work.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Yiming L Monday, March 30, 2009 2:15 AM
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:46 PM

• "When the path associated with the left or right side of a folder pair cannot be located, SyncToy loops through all existing drive letter assignments and attempts to locate that folder. SyncToy uses the information located in the SyncToy[ID].bin file to locate the correct folder."

That part works fine when the drive letter DOES NOT exist but when the drive letter DOES exist but it is NOT it has not been assigned to the drive you want Synctoy seems to assume it is WITHOUT checking for hidden file to confirm that it is actually the one it wants. So when you run the job you get errors telling you that things can not be found.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:31 PM
  • McNikki, you are brilliant - your distinction between whether the old drive letter exists as something else or not solved my problem.   Hopefully MS will include that in their answers from now on.

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Could somebody translate the above lingo into plain language? I have the device-letter change problem as above, I have not (voluntarily) deleted any synctoy identification file, but it still fails to detect the letter change. The current Help file does not help me. What can I do now, except creating a lot of parallel folder pairs with different driver letters?
    Thanks!

PS: I'm using version 2.1.0.0
    Friday, June 17, 2011 4:22 PM
  • I second okjhum's question.  I'm also using 2.1.0.0, am having the same problem and can't quite follow the thread here.  Thanks!
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:05 AM
  • I am using removable drives and since upgrading to 2.1.0.0 this problem (disaster) has appeared. 

For a very long time I have been happily backing up drive 'H' to drive 'G' with SyncToy pairs defined as left folder H: and right folder G:/mirrorH.

After an error due to one of the drives not being connected, SyncToy has now redefined my pairs as left folder G: and right folder G:/mirrorH.

After a long delay I found over 78000 files had been renamed and/or created... and SyncToy brilliantly avoided disappearing up its own orifice.

Apparently there is now no way for me to manually recorrect the left folder to the correct drive, although SyncToy is "clever" enough to change this definition automatically.

Since shooting a programmer for this type of catastrophy would be far too kind... could he/she/they be locked up, put back to work and not let out until their code makes some logical sense?  (and without food as it would be nice to have this put right asap).

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 4:03 PM