I think I'm in a big trouble - Network Connection Disabled in Homeserver RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

While I was remotely connected to my HP mediasmart via remote desktop connection, I opened Network Connection panel from Control Panel and from that panel I accidently clicked 'Disable' while I was trying to click on 'Properties' and then the network connection of homeserver was turned off. Since I was remotely logged in, suddenly I lost connection and I have no idea how to turn network connection back on(there is no display port for HP mediasmart, I can't turn that on locally). I'm wondering how can I deal with this situation? Thank you.

Monday, January 5, 2009 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Olaf and cheetoid,

Thank you for your instructions and I tried both, they are really helpful but unfortunately, none of them work in my machine. Thus I did a server recovery(instead of factory reset) to re-install my WHS.

There is one thing that I'm very upset about. After a server recovery, the system is indeed back online, but the data is not fully recovered. Only the folder I checked duplication is preserved and I don't know why. This totally does not make any sense while WHS store system files and data in separate logical drives and while re-installing, it should not touch anything in the data drive. I don't think it is hard to recover data that is neither deleted or corrupted, I'm satisfied by the simplicity and functionality of WHS but actually more disappointed about it's failure to recover my data.

Friday, January 9, 2009 10:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you have two options:
    Perform a Server recovery following the guideline delivered with your HP for this procedure. This is a special installation process, which will wipe and reinstall the Operating system, but leave the data untouched.

The second potential (unsupported) method would be to detach the system disk from the server, attach it to another client and edit the registry to eventually reenable the network connection. This method is complicated and should only performed by somebody, who knows how to handle hardware and the registry, since it may be destructive also for the client, if a fault is made. This fix will also not work, if the Local Area Connection is named different.

To do this, perform the following steps:
    You will need a Windows PC for this and have to mount the WHS system disk as secondary disk in this machine. After this has been done:

Create a file named enable.cmd with Notepad (ensure, that the extension is cmd and not a hidden ".txt", so better in Folder Options on the View tab untoggle the hide known extensions feature) .
    In this file write following line:
    netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" Enabled
    and save the file.
    Copy this file to the system volume of your Windows Home Server (which should have assigned a drive letter in your current OS (and has the volume name SYS usually) to the folder \windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup (if this is not visible, you may have to toggle Show hidden files and folders or paste this line to the Start/Run dialog lead by the drive letter, i.e. E:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup - replace E: with the drive letter, on which your Explorer shows the SYS volume of your WHS).

Click Start/Run and type regedit. Click OK.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click File/Load Hive in the menu.
    Navigate the to system partition of your WHS, Drill down in the hierarchy to folder Windows\system32\config and select the file with the name SOFTWARE.
    As name for the temporary key enter whssoftware.
    Close the Registry Editor.
    Copy the following lines to Notepad and save that file as script.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\whssoftware\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts\Startup\0\0]
    "Script"="enable.cmd"
    "Parameters"=""
    "ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Double click this file and confirm, that you wish to import it.
    Run regedit again.
    Click the key whssoftware and then in the menu File/Unload Hive.
    End registry editor and shutdown the system.
    Remount the disk into WHS and power up.
    Login via Remote Desktop and remove the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\whssoftware\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts\Startup (or you can leave it alone, since it does not perform anything bad).

Maybe there is a less complicated way, but I cannot get one in my mind.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 5, 2009 11:39 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thank you for the very detailed solutions! For the second one, I can understand what each separate step is doing, and I believe this will work.

However, I encountered a problem while I was copying "enable.cmd" to the folder "\windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup". Actually I couldn't see the folder "GroupPolicy" exists in my homeserver(SYS) drive (neither in my XP SP3 and I did toggle Show hidden files and folders)! I tried to create the folders "\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup" and did the remaining steps, but this did not work.

Is it possible that the path is different in WHS? I really do not want to reinstall the OS! By the way, does server recovery clean the data that I stored? I'm kind of worry about losing my data. Thank you!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hi again,
    maybe the folder is only visible, if also Show system files is enabled, but on the WHS itself I can see it so.
    What happens, if you open a command prompt and enter following commands:
    x: (replace x with the drive letter of the WHS SYS drive in your client)
    cd \windows
    cd system32
    cd GroupPolicy
    (this folder is indeed hidden, as I can see the H attribute just on my server)

I just checked on another WHS, on which I never touched Group Policies.
    There was also not such an folder, it appeared only, after I run gpedit.msc, navigated to the scripts section and clicked in the Startup scripts area Show Files.

Do you have Windows XP Pro or Server 2003 (if not, drop me a mail with subject Forums thread, my mail address is in my profile)?
    If yes, you could run also gpedit.msc, click Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Scripts (Startup/Shutdown).
    Double click Startup and Show files.
    This will create the folder GroupPolicy, which you could copy. Maybe the GPT.ini file in it plays a role. Maybe also, the reg file I provided before was not complete enough.
    This is the entire scripts section visible in regedit on a running WHS, so maybe you should import it all, after changing the path (replace SOFTWARE with whssoftware):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts\Shutdown][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts\Startup][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts\Startup\0]
    "GPO-ID"="LocalGPO"
    "SOM-ID"="Local"
    "FileSysPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\Machine"
    "DisplayName"="Local Group Policy"
    "GPOName"="Local Group Policy"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\System\Scripts\Startup\0\0]
    "Script"="enable.cmd"
    "Parameters"=""
    "ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Olaf

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Could you tell me more about how do I run the "gpedit.msc" to make "GroupPolicy" folders appear and how do I deal with your registry script? ( Thanks a lot! I know I keep asking you questions!)
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Start/Run, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
    Works only on Professional Versions of XP and Business/Ultimate/Enterprise versions of Vista and on Server 2003 of course.
    If you don't have such, please drop me an email, and I will send you that folder as zip file.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 8:58 AM
  • It once happened to me as well !! It took me a while to figure out how to enable it back but I did the following:

- connect a USB keyboard to the server
    - press CTRL-ALT-DEL and input your password and press enter, type it carefully as you cannot see anything
    - give it 30 seconds to finish loading whatever and press Windows+R, this opens the run dialog
    - type ncpa.cpl and press enter and it should open Network Connections window
    - press down arrow once and press enter, if you have only the LAN connection then it should reenable it, try to ping server -t from another computer. If nothing happens then press ESC and then down arrow again and enter, etc

This brute method actually saved me from having to tinker too much, hope it can work for you.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi Olaf and cheetoid,

Thank you for your instructions and I tried both, they are really helpful but unfortunately, none of them work in my machine. Thus I did a server recovery(instead of factory reset) to re-install my WHS.

There is one thing that I'm very upset about. After a server recovery, the system is indeed back online, but the data is not fully recovered. Only the folder I checked duplication is preserved and I don't know why. This totally does not make any sense while WHS store system files and data in separate logical drives and while re-installing, it should not touch anything in the data drive. I don't think it is hard to recover data that is neither deleted or corrupted, I'm satisfied by the simplicity and functionality of WHS but actually more disappointed about it's failure to recover my data.

Friday, January 9, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Hi,
    if you perform a server recovery, the tombstones have to be rebuilt. If you are not patient enough, you may have canceled this process, which takes dependend from the amount of data and the performance a longer time.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:58 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

your post is an old one, but it works. Today I checked my WHS and made the most awful mistake to deactivate LAN. But with your hints for "blind typing" the WHS works again within the network. Many thanks.

Greetings from Bavaria

Stefan

Friday, January 6, 2012 5:11 PM