campaigns with attachments ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I create a campaign with my specific MArketing list, distributing using Emails and being able to attach files to the email ?

Thanks in advance

Monday, February 1, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hi, bulk email using campaigns does not support attachments. You can send bulk email with attachments by creating a workflow rule, but this can't be contained within a campaign.

However, I would encourage you not to add attachments to marketing emails. This is a bad practice because it clogs your CRM database (if you send a 1MB attachment to 1,000 contacts, it'll consume 1GB of storage on your database server) and your email server. It can also causes significant bandwidth and storage issues for your ISP, your recipients' ISPs, your recipients' email servers and your recipients' mailboxes.  In some scenarios this could cause your recipient or their ISP to mark your email as junk and could lead to your domain being blacklisted.

A better solution is to publish the file on a webserver and include an HTML link within your email.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 1, 2010 5:43 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi, bulk email using campaigns does not support attachments. You can send bulk email with attachments by creating a workflow rule, but this can't be contained within a campaign.

However, I would encourage you not to add attachments to marketing emails. This is a bad practice because it clogs your CRM database (if you send a 1MB attachment to 1,000 contacts, it'll consume 1GB of storage on your database server) and your email server. It can also causes significant bandwidth and storage issues for your ISP, your recipients' ISPs, your recipients' email servers and your recipients' mailboxes.  In some scenarios this could cause your recipient or their ISP to mark your email as junk and could lead to your domain being blacklisted.

A better solution is to publish the file on a webserver and include an HTML link within your email.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, February 1, 2010 5:43 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:36 PM
  • You can do something similar with a workflow if you HAVE to have an attachement but Neil's post is the best answer.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 7:57 PM

• So I guess the workflow would have to be completely separate from the campaign, and this would generate two emails. :(
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

We sell a 3rd party add-on for MS CRM which achieves this requirement.

V206 Mail

Regards,
    Karlo
    Karlo Swart - http://www.ver206.com
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Hi Karlo, there are lots of email marketing add-ons for Microsoft Dynamics CRM. As far as I am aware, none of the leading ESPs (email service providers) offer the ability to add attachments to marketing emails because it's bad practice. I'd be interested to how your add-on prevent the sender's domain being blacklisted for sending spam.

Neil
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi Neil,

I agree in certain instances it may be bad practise to include attachments in bulk email for a variety of reasons. Firstly sending 100K emails with a 200KB PDF attachments would cause an unneccesary load on your outbound email servers (assuming you host it yourself). Additionally it is wasted bandwidth  if only 15% of your email recipients bothered to open/read their emails. Not only that but even 'rude' to use up your recipients bandwidth (certainly an issue for some users) by including a large attachents. For that reason alone, yes it is often 'best practise' to not include large attachments with bulk email.

With regard to ESP's not supporting this, I would probably put it down to the significant increase in bandwidth as well as server capacity an ESP would need to cater for when including an attachment in the outbound email. For example a 40KB email suddenly becomes a 300 KB email, which essentially increases the size of email by 260KB. Most ESP's charge by the email irrespective of email size (10KB - 100KB) as it would not be practical to bill by email size. Additionally they would need to capture email responses (e.g. bounce backs) which (if it includes an attachment) would significantly affect the size of the undeliverable's. Where typically sending 100K emails take X amount of work, emails with attachments now take 5X amount of work.

Now 'some' folk do like to cut corners, by CC or BCC'ing 500 recipients into the same email and including a 500KB attachment. Obviously no work is done at the sender-end as they're effectively sending a 550KB email. In contrast their ISP needs to send this email 500 times to 500 different recipients, so most ISP's aren't too happy with this approach either. In contract all our emails are individualised when sent, we do not send the same message to the same SMTP server, nor do we CC or BCC any recipients.

We've not had to deal with any issues with clients including attachments in their emails. Domains are seldom blacklisted in any case, more likely the email server IP would be blacklisted should there be any issues. As it takes greater resources to send attachments, it is unlikely that spammers would want to include large attachments in their emails, quite the opposite. Most spammers rely on using as few resources as possible to get through to end users. As a spammer, fishing for valid email addresses, you certainly would use up a great deal of bandwidth just trying to handle bounced email if it contained an attachment. Obviously we don't advise customers to include .exe's in their email, as this may well be flagged as dangerous and immediately viewed as spam. Whether customers include attachments or not, it's had no impact on deliverability, nor caused their domains, or any of our email servers to be blacklisted.

Where we do support use of attachments would be in cases where all recipients are known and to customers they believe will definitely not have an aversion to receiving attachments. Many whitelists rely on email recipients NOT reporting the sender as a spammer, so it is in their interest to ensure they don't send unwanted emails or attachments. Quite often however including an attachment is preferavble, especially where we have automated email routines within MS CRM where a particular group of customers are automatically emailed an email with attachment. Other customers may not have a strong HTML resource and instead prefer to send a plain email with a more stylish .PDF.

Hope that made sense.
    Regards,
    Karlo

Karlo Swart - Ver206
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:55 PM
  • Best practice is not to attach files to a bulk e-mail, it will fill up your CRM database. Instead send a bulk e-mail with a link to the file on your web server.
    Henrik Jensen Instructor / Consultant MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT www.crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Hi, we have an add-on for CRM which will enable you to send emails with attachments. Here are some details:
    http://www.logicpoint.cz/products/advanced-e-mail-marketing-add-in-for-microsoft-crm-40/
    Friday, February 26, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

In CRM 2011 is it the same issue with filling up the CRM database?

HLET
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hi Hans I,

No it's not the same in MS CRM 2011. The database will not be filled up with documents. You can read about it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2010/12/28/adding-attachments-to-templates-and-bulk-email.aspx

Henrik Jensen Microsoft Dynamics CRM Architect MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Hi Henrik,

Your anwer is valid for both the On-Premise and Online versions, and also regarding the functionality for distributing a campaign activity? 

Brgs.

Hans I.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hi Hans,

Yes. There are no difference between Online and On-Premise regarding this matter (attachments).

Henrik Jensen Microsoft Dynamics CRM Architect MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:23 PM