Hating OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• What, about 8 or more requests for a phone number and NOT ONE person was given one!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Windows Live OneCare software program.  When I was installing it on my PC, I was never given the opportunity to enter the number from the packaging which is needed to get the one year subscription (included in price of package).  Now everyday, a reminder pops up all day long telling me I have just a couple of days left until my subscription runs out.  When I try to subscribe I get caught in a loop.  Caught in a loop.  Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop.  Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop.  Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop.  Caught in a loop.  Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop. Caught in a loop.

How frustrating! Not to mention the time I have wasted on this! 

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

Please give me a phone number to call.  I've already wasted three hours of my time over the past several weeks.  I hate OneCare!   DO NOT SEND ME INSTRUCTIONS . SEND ME A PHONE NUMBER.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

Thank you,

Judy
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 1:37 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry that you've had problems with activation, but "caught in a loop" doesn't tell me what you are experiencing, nor does it tell me what you have tried.

The reason you won't see the phone number posted here for support (and when it is, it is promptly deleted) is that support is valid for paid subscribers only. Trial users have access to email support. Furthermore, OneCare is available in many countries. The support options vary by country - different hours, different phone numbers.

Now, that puts you in a tough position, since you paid for OneCare, but you don't have a subscription. If you read my FAQ post,  "How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2," you'll know that I don't agree with the lack of the support number in the retail package, but I don't work for Microsoft, and am a fellow customer.

In any event, check your email for a message from me.

For the specific problem of not being able to activate, the following may help:

1. Check your PC date and time - correct it if it is wrong.

2. Remove all other security software that is installed and disable any parental controls.

3. Set IE to be your default web browser in Control Panel/Program Access and Defaults.

4. Open IE and go to Tools/Internet Options

a. Delete cookies and temporary Internet files.

b. Confirm that your language is properly set as default for your location. In the US, English-US, for example.

c. On the connections tab, LAN settings, make sure that automatically detect settings is not checked.

5. If you do not already have a LiveID, go to http://account.live.com and create one. Be sure to set the alternate email address and secret questions in the event you need to reset your password.

6. Close IE

7. Open OneCare and click the subscribe link.

8. Sign in with your LiveID. If one is already populated and it isn't the one you wish to activate/subscribe with, see this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

9. Select the option to provide a retail PIN or Key (or token - they tend to use these terms interchangably)

10.Follow the prompts and complete activation.

11.If it still fails, contact support.

-steve

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:57 PM