How to tell how much each HDD being used? RRS feed

• Question

• I recall a post ion this forum where someone was describing how much each hard drive was utilized across the WHS pool.  I only am able to find the server storage info in the console that shows total disk space total for all drives and what hard drives are installed. 

i can't seem to find any where in the WHS console or elsewhere that shows what percentage or GB's are being used on each HDD.

is this an additional add-in to get this detailed info or am i just not looking in the right place?

thanks!
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:33 AM

Answers

• tlh53 said:

I recall a post ion this forum where someone was describing how much each hard drive was utilized across the WHS pool.  I only am able to find the server storage info in the console that shows total disk space total for all drives and what hard drives are installed. 

i can't seem to find any where in the WHS console or elsewhere that shows what percentage or GB's are being used on each HDD.

is this an additional add-in to get this detailed info or am i just not looking in the right place?

thanks!

It is not included in the WHS Console.  You need to use an add-in (such as Disk Management) to see it.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:59 AM
  • In addition to what Kariya21 has said, I'll point out that, by design, the question of how much space is used or free on any given drive in your server is not exposed to the end user. Windows Home Server uses an algorithm designed to preserve your data and keep logically-associated files on the same disks where possible. That algorithm does not use all disks equally, but it does work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• tlh53 said:

I recall a post ion this forum where someone was describing how much each hard drive was utilized across the WHS pool.  I only am able to find the server storage info in the console that shows total disk space total for all drives and what hard drives are installed. 

thanks!

It is not included in the WHS Console.  You need to use an add-in (such as Disk Management) to see it.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:59 AM
  • In addition to what Kariya21 has said, I'll point out that, by design, the question of how much space is used or free on any given drive in your server is not exposed to the end user. Windows Home Server uses an algorithm designed to preserve your data and keep logically-associated files on the same disks where possible. That algorithm does not use all disks equally, but it does work.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:39 AM
  • thanks!  that makes sense.  i probably need to just not worry about usage per disk and just let WHS do its job!  :-)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:28 PM