none
Moving an XP License RRS feed

• Question

• I am a volunteer network administrator at my church. One of the client computers has permanently broken. I have built a replacement computer and need to know if I can legally use the existing OEM XP disc on the new computer. The old one is toast and the new one will be used by "the church lady" as the same domain client. Again the old computer has been destroyed. The domain will soon be upgraded to WIN SBS 2011 and the clients upgraded to WIN 7 and the XP licenses will be devalidated. I need to make sure all is done legally. The old hard drive info would be transferred to the new hard drives. The old PC is a Pentium 4 and the new is an I7.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:38 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, OEM Windows licenses are non-transferrable to a different computer.  The license is permanently tied to the first computer it was installed and activated on.  If that computer died, then so did the Windows XP OEM license.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Thank you Carey, I feared that to be true but thought I'd check anyway. Can you reccommend anywhere that I can still get a Geuine copy of XP as Microsoft has said they no longer sell it. Thank you again in advance. 

Douglas J. Thompson Central Baptist Church St. Paul, MN
    • Marked as answer by djt6607 Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:29 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hello djt6607,

As Carey mentioned you won't be able to transfer the OEM license.

If you just built a new computer, I have to assume you used technologically-current components rather than a mashup of old dust collecting parts :-).  If so, just let this one be the first Windows 7 computer.

If not, then you can install and use any installation of XP for 30 days before it will require activation.  If upgrading soon means within 30 days, problem solved.  If a little more than 30 days, say 60, you can re-arm Windows XP activation countdown for another 30 days to stretch it out a little.

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:07 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, OEM Windows licenses are non-transferrable to a different computer.  The license is permanently tied to the first computer it was installed and activated on.  If that computer died, then so did the Windows XP OEM license.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Thank you Carey, I feared that to be true but thought I'd check anyway. Can you reccommend anywhere that I can still get a Geuine copy of XP as Microsoft has said they no longer sell it. Thank you again in advance. 

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hello djt6607,

As Carey mentioned you won't be able to transfer the OEM license.

If you just built a new computer, I have to assume you used technologically-current components rather than a mashup of old dust collecting parts :-).  If so, just let this one be the first Windows 7 computer.

If not, then you can install and use any installation of XP for 30 days before it will require activation.  If upgrading soon means within 30 days, problem solved.  If a little more than 30 days, say 60, you can re-arm Windows XP activation countdown for another 30 days to stretch it out a little.

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Thanks to all who have replied. I decided to go ahead with WIN7. You've all been terrific!
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:28 AM