Cookies and SteadyState RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just set up steadystate on 2 pc's that will be getting deployed as kiosk pc's.

During the testing phase i noticed that if i log into a website, such as a forum, When i go log out, when it automatically logs back on, I'm still logged into this site.

Is there a way to clear cookies at log off? i currently use the Windows Disk Protection, and when i restart it clears it all which is good, I can also make it that the pc restarts when logging off, however during bootup i can see a potential risk that people can change bios settings and stuff.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Cheers,
    Mark Waeger
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:13 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Mark,

Based on my experience, if you log out the website credential before logging off your user account, this issue will not occur. 

We can clear the cookies with the UPHClean and SteadyState’s lock profile feature.

1. Download and Install UPHClean

-----------------------------

UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces resources that are open to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles.

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

2. Clear the cookies from the following folder of user profile:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

3. Lock the user profile

Open SteadyState and click the user profile. Select the "Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes" option.

The lock profile feature will keep a clean copy of user profile and UPHClean tool will clear the temporary profile when you log off.

Please check if the issue persists.

Another workaround is configure the computer to restart when logging off. You can set a password for your BIOS, please refer to your motherboard manual to do so. Here is an example:

Setting a BIOS Password

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=biospsw&s=articles

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

In addition, you can configure whether cookie is allowed from the “Privacy” tab of IE options. Related settings can also be deployed via the following group policy:

[User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Security\Security Zones and Content Ratings policy].

As many websites need the cookies feature enabled, I do not recommend disabling this feature.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:17 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Mark,

Based on my experience, if you log out the website credential before logging off your user account, this issue will not occur. 

We can clear the cookies with the UPHClean and SteadyState’s lock profile feature.

1. Download and Install UPHClean

UPHClean monitors the computer while Windows is unloading user profiles and forces resources that are open to close. Therefore, the computer can unload and reconcile user profiles.

User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en

2. Clear the cookies from the following folder of user profile:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

3. Lock the user profile

Open SteadyState and click the user profile. Select the "Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes" option.

The lock profile feature will keep a clean copy of user profile and UPHClean tool will clear the temporary profile when you log off.

Please check if the issue persists.

Another workaround is configure the computer to restart when logging off. You can set a password for your BIOS, please refer to your motherboard manual to do so. Here is an example:

Setting a BIOS Password

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=biospsw&s=articles

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

In addition, you can configure whether cookie is allowed from the “Privacy” tab of IE options. Related settings can also be deployed via the following group policy:

[User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Security\Security Zones and Content Ratings policy].

As many websites need the cookies feature enabled, I do not recommend disabling this feature.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 6, 2007 10:17 AM
  • I have installed the User Profile Hive Cleanup service before locking the profile, which did not resolve the problem Mark describes. So I tried the new User Profile Helper Cleanup service, which also does not resolve it. Manually clearing cookies certainly cleans up the profile before locking it, but it doesn't prevent them from being cached again, even with the profile locked. The profile is simply not being cleaned up. Strange, because I always thought that a mandatory (locked) profile completely overwrites a profile on every logout. Temporary Internet Files are also not being completely unloaded, but that's discussed in another thread.

Yes, logging off a website (i.e. Yahoo mail) does help, but in our library patrons expect that when they log off of Windows that should do it. It doesn't. And our librarians get very tired of (after the fact) telling people they should have logged off their email accounts. One patron had someone who used the PC after him send a threatening email to his friends using his email account. Very creepy, and a liability to the library. Again, as I stated in the other thread, I really don't want to reboot in-between users.

Are there any other ideas on cleaning up cookies and/or temporary internet files? I'm about to go back to the Gates PAC tool or the Shared Computer Toolkit, out of desperation. Our librarians are extremely unhappy about this.
    PCC
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:27 PM