Is there any step-by-step instructions on doing a Vail server restore? RRS feed

• Question

• I tried 3x last night & kept getting stuck @ the Command prompt looking window that said " ServerRecovery Started & is Listening for Request." but just hung there.

Does one need to have the USB  w/ the restore files & the External Hdd w/ the server backup data plugged in together?

* I only had the USB flash drive w/ the restore files plugged in.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I haven not had a chance to check out server restore, so I haven't tried this yet. Actually I have no idea if Server Restore is functional in th current VAIL preview. But I would expect the precedure to be as follows:

1. Start the Server Restore Wizard from a client PC.
    2. Create a bootable USB flas drive.
    3. Use the USB drive to boot the server in "listing mode" (the Server and Restore Wizard are now able to communicate)
    4. Continue the restore Wizard....

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:11 PM

All replies

• These instructions from the restore wizard are a bit confusing, but it appears I am supposed to boot from the server not another PC to start the restore.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/haole1/3_WHSVailServerRestore_Failed7.jpg

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr326/haole1/3_WHSVailServerRestore_Failed10.jpg

Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi,
    I haven not had a chance to check out server restore, so I haven't tried this yet. Actually I have no idea if Server Restore is functional in th current VAIL preview. But I would expect the precedure to be as follows:

3. Use the USB drive to boot the server in "listing mode" (the Server and Restore Wizard are now able to communicate)

- Theo.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Just tested this in a VM-environment:
    Server Restore from a backup appears to be fully functional. Server backups where on an internal disk but this should also work withan external USB backup disk connected.

- Theo.

Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:47 PM
  • [quote]
    -Theo.
    [unquote]
    Thank you Theo  >Thumbs up<
    That is exactly what I needed & it worked for me also in a regular Vail setup w/ a 1 TB external Hdd server backup drive (w/ approx. 500 GB of Data).
    When a message appeared that no backup was found thats when I unplugged the USB flash drive w/ the bootable restore data, plugged in the external Hdd. The wizard found it & the server restore only took 8 minutes from there.
    My WHS website, server shared folders where there w/ files, the health was OK.
    I tested it restoring a Vista x64 backup on a test rig, that was successful.
    *Edit: my last edit sure made this post ugly.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 6:30 PM
  • BTW:
    While testing a "bare metal" Server Restore to a new disk on a singledisk server configuration a known issue applied as noted in the release notes. I had to go through the following procedure:

1. Restore using the USB flash-drive procedure.
    2. On restart, log-on to the server desktop:
      Do not start Dashboard yet!
      Apply the registry modification as described in the releasenotes deleting the default storage pool registry entry.
    3. In my case I had to reboot the server at this point to make it work.
    4. Log-on to the Desktop and make sure all "Windows Server ..." services are started.
      Start Dashboard:
      The Restore Wizard will kick in to add the system drive to the storage pool and create data volumes.

- Theo.

Monday, August 30, 2010 10:49 PM