how to take one care off a wireless router? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey i have a linksys wireless router model number WRT54G2 and i had a laptop that i put one care on so i put the one care viruse protection on the router well i no longer have the laptop. So i gave the wireless router to my brother and he tryed to install it so he could have wireless with his laptop and it won't let him use it without the one care password so i need the password or to know how to take it off the router completely so he can be wireless. I called the router company and they said contact u guys so i am. I have already done pushin the reset button and all that it still says u need the password. I need help.
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Friday, July 10, 2009 10:35 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare – Off Topic)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:04 PM

Answers

• Depressing the reset button for 30 seconds with the power on should reset the router to factory defaults. If this does not work connect to the router using an ethernet cable, open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. The default user name is administrator and the password field is blank ( unless you previously changed the user name and password) This will take you to the router set up page. Open Wireless, then open Wireless Security and copy the network key or delete the key and create a new key.

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:35 PM

All replies

• Depressing the reset button for 30 seconds with the power on should reset the router to factory defaults. If this does not work connect to the router using an ethernet cable, open a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. The default user name is administrator and the password field is blank ( unless you previously changed the user name and password) This will take you to the router set up page. Open Wireless, then open Wireless Security and copy the network key or delete the key and create a new key.

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Friday, July 10, 2009 10:35 PM
  • hey that worked thank u so much i have been tryin for about a month to fix that i fell so stupid but anywayz thanx so much..
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 12:37 AM
  • You are very welcome. Glad to help.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 2:41 AM