Unidentified Networks and Security Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

when my netgear MA401 wireless adapter is on but not connected to my router, One Care shows two Networks in the Advanced Firewall Network Connections with a status of "Connected":

"Unidentified Network Conn

Automatic Tunneling Ps"

"Unidentified Network

6to4 Pseudo-Interface"

Will MS please explain?

Also, so far I can only connect to my router with an unsecure connection. I haven't been able to get the security settings to work. (Before One Care and XP SP3 everything worked fine)

The router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 v.4

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

• The two items you list are adapters, which are installed on XP if you take one of the optional XP updates that provides enhanced network capabilities. These two items bring IPv6 functionality to XP. Very few applications need this today, but having the feature installed is not detrimental in any way.

If your router is not supported by OneCare for WiFi security - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/prodinfo/aplist.htm - configuring wireless security on the router and adapter are going to be per the instructions provided by the router manufacturer. If your router is on the supported list, OneCare will see that the connection is not secure and will offer to set it up for you. OneCare and SP3 should not have any impact on the ability to configure wireless security, so I'd suggest contacting support from the router manufacturer for assistance.

-steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:36 PM