WHS Console has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• I am no longer able to connect to the WHS console, either from multiple client PCs or from the server itself. Starting from freshly rebooted server and client PC, I try to access WHS console from client. There is a long delay followed by error "The computer has lost connection to your home server". However, it is not a networking problem, as I can access the shared folders and I can initiate a manual backup from the client.

On the server itself, if I launch the console (located in "C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole.exe"), the console window briefly appears, but before it can draw the window contents, it crashes back to desktop.

Each of these remote or local attempts to access the console are associated with the same Event Log error message:

Event ID: 5000
    Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 49ed39c1, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 49b73949, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 n3ctrye2kn3c34sgl4zqyrbfte4m13nb, P10 NIL.

Someone else reported the same exact error message in:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/4f9aa3e4-0213-4f34-9768-24869bad8a07

but the solution of clearing the Home Server event log has not worked for me.

Please help me regain access to the WHS console! I have not changed anything or installed/removed any add-ins recently (unless one of them was automatically updated).

Thank you.
    • Edited by unprovoked Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:31 AM still not line breaks
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:27 AM

Answers

• PROBLEM FIXED! Don't understand why though.

I went to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and renamed HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.dll to HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.XXX and now the console works again!

What I don't understand is why the WHS Update History Addin would suddenly cause problems. I installed it several months ago and have had no problems until a few days ago when the console suddenly stopped working.

• Marked as answer by unprovoked Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:12 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:12 AM

All replies

• I don't know why the formatting of my above message was messed up. I had to re-edit and manually add html tags so that there would be line breaks. I didn't have this problem previously.

With regard to the console crash problems, the %qlogs% directory has associated HomeServerConsole.xxxx.log (with all of the actual GUIDs edited to GUID_XXX since I don't know if it is bad to post GUIDs):

[1]091101.012259.4687: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]091101.012259.5000: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]091101.012259.5000: Error: Client GUID_XXX not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]091101.012259.5000: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: GUID_XXX
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]091101.012259.5156: Error: Client GUID_XXX not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]091101.012259.5156: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: GUID_XXX
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]091101.012259.5156: Error: Client GUID_XXX not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]091101.012259.5156: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: GUID_XXX
    [1]091101.012259.5781: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]091101.012300.1406: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [9]091101.012300.9375: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [5]091101.012300.9375: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]091101.012304.1562: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]091101.012304.1562: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]091101.012304.2968: Error: Exception thrown
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid.  Check InnerException for exception details. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
       at WUApiLib.IUpdateSearcher.GetTotalHistoryCount() in Interop.WUApiLib.dll
       at AndreasM.WHSUpdateHistory.UpdateHistory.GetUpdateHistory() in HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.dll
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.MainTabUserControl.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.dll
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e) in System.dll
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument) in System.dll
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary() in System.dll
       at System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs.get_Result() in System.dll
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.MainTabUserControl.backgroundWorker1_RunWorkerCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) in HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.dll
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) in System.dll
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg) in System.dll
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) in mscorlib.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks() in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm) in System.Windows.Forms.dll
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsole.MainForm.Main(String[] args) in HomeServerConsole.exe

Sender: Name:HomeServerConsole.exe
    There are no context policies.

Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:39 AM
  • PROBLEM FIXED! Don't understand why though.

I went to C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server and renamed HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.dll to HomeServerConsoleTab.WHSUpdateHistory.XXX and now the console works again!

What I don't understand is why the WHS Update History Addin would suddenly cause problems. I installed it several months ago and have had no problems until a few days ago when the console suddenly stopped working.

• Marked as answer by unprovoked Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:12 AM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Well it does look like a programmatic error. (InvalidCastException)
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    --> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: An exception occurred during the operation, making the result invalid. 
    Check InnerException for exception details. ---> System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
       at WUApiLib.IUpdateSearcher.GetTotalHistoryCount() in Interop.WUApiLib.dll

I think you better contact the author and give him the details.
    Maybe it is caused by a recent update to one of the system dll's...

Cheers,
    Nick
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:41 AM