P4 2.66 is it worth it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a re-cycled PC clone.  P4 2.66Ghz, 512 RAM, 1 - 80GB 7200RPM Sata drive, 100Mb LAN.

In installed WHS with no issue to see if it intalled correctly etc.  I have not put the server to use because I want a few upgrades.

I want to set up a new 500GB RAID 1 volume to store all my MP3, pictures, movies and 3 PC's backup data.

My questions.
    Is this going to perform ok?
    I need a recommedation for PCI sata raid controller.
    I imagine I should up the RAM to at least 1GB.
    I need recommendation for a 1Gb pci LAN card.  I have a spare Netgear 1Gb card, but there is no Win2K3 driver available.

Thanks
    Monday, April 21, 2008 5:59 PM

Answers

•  Tunafish wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a re-cycled PC clone.  P4 2.66Ghz, 512 RAM, 1 - 80GB 7200RPM Sata drive, 100Mb LAN.

In installed WHS with no issue to see if it intalled correctly etc.  I have not put the server to use because I want a few upgrades.

I want to set up a new 500GB RAID 1 volume to store all my MP3, pictures, movies and 3 PC's backup data.

My questions.
    Is this going to perform ok? Probably, it more than meets the minumum specs set by MS, should work good.
    I need a recommedation for PCI sata raid controller. Highpoint or Promise, dunno if adaptec makes SATA cards.
    I imagine I should up the RAM to at least 1GB. Might not need it, but you can't have too much RAM these days.
    I need recommendation for a 1Gb pci LAN card.  I have a spare Netgear 1Gb card, but there is no Win2K3 driver available. Use the Windows XP driver, People have had success doing that.

Thanks

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:15 PM

All replies

• RAID is not supported with WHS.    WHS was designed specifically so home users can enable fault tolerance and protect their data, as well as increase their disk capaticy as needed without having to implement a RAID solution.  

WHS Drive Extender Technology will take care of protecting your data without needing to use RAID by enabling folder duplication.   

You should wait for Power Pack 1 is released before putting production data on the WHS install at this point I think.      There is a data corruption bug out there which is documented to the hilt already on this forum so I will not go into that here.

I think you should increase the System drive to a drive that is 320GB or higher, as well as going to 1gb of RAM at a minumum.

Look for an XP driver for the Netgear 1GB card, and that should work with W2k3 without issue.

The 80gb you have installed WHS on now is really cutting it to close for optimal performance.

Good Luck!
    Monday, April 21, 2008 6:50 PM
  •  Tunafish wrote:
    Hi,

My questions.
    Is this going to perform ok? Probably, it more than meets the minumum specs set by MS, should work good.
    I need a recommedation for PCI sata raid controller. Highpoint or Promise, dunno if adaptec makes SATA cards.
    I imagine I should up the RAM to at least 1GB. Might not need it, but you can't have too much RAM these days.
    I need recommendation for a 1Gb pci LAN card.  I have a spare Netgear 1Gb card, but there is no Win2K3 driver available. Use the Windows XP driver, People have had success doing that.

Thanks

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:15 PM