SQL Server restore breaking CRM roles and permissions RRS feed

• Question

• We have Dynamics CRM 4.0 with SQL Server 2005 backend using windows authentication. Each user had roles and permissions setup with CRM. We had to do a restore lately (within SQL Server). This worked fine in SQL Server, but in CRM users can log in, but are getting permission denied on some activities. It is like the roles and permissions the admin setup within CRM are no longer working after the restore. Is there anythiing I can do?

THanks

Danny

• Edited by dannyg_uk Saturday, May 8, 2010 6:01 PM mistake
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:49 AM

Answers

• Danny,

With the version confusion out of the way, let's focus on your issue here.

The first thing I would recommend is to restart IIS after restoring the database. A lot of user permissions are cached in IIS so it's always a good idea to reset IIS first when you experience issues like that. Technically, restoring the database alone should not cause the problems that you describe. CRM stored user role memberships in a table called SystemUserRoles in the Org_MSCRM database and when you restore the database these settings should be picked up by the system. However, if user roles were different in the database that you backed up from, you may experience some issues. Did you also restore the MSCRM_CONFIG database? Some user information is maintained there as well, so typically you would want to back up and restore these two databases together.

Good Luck,

Ivan Kurtev

Green Beacon Solutions

Saturday, May 8, 2010 8:23 PM
  • I suggest check the security role in CRM system itself by going in to (Settings- > Administration -> Security roles) and see if these are restored correctly or not?
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:53 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• You are lucky that you have CRM 5.0. It is not release so I don't think you can get answer here...
    Truth is opened the prepared mind

My blog (english)
    Мой блог (русскоязычный)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Danny,

With the version confusion out of the way, let's focus on your issue here.

The first thing I would recommend is to restart IIS after restoring the database. A lot of user permissions are cached in IIS so it's always a good idea to reset IIS first when you experience issues like that. Technically, restoring the database alone should not cause the problems that you describe. CRM stored user role memberships in a table called SystemUserRoles in the Org_MSCRM database and when you restore the database these settings should be picked up by the system. However, if user roles were different in the database that you backed up from, you may experience some issues. Did you also restore the MSCRM_CONFIG database? Some user information is maintained there as well, so typically you would want to back up and restore these two databases together.

Good Luck,

Ivan Kurtev

Green Beacon Solutions

Saturday, May 8, 2010 8:23 PM
  • I suggest check the security role in CRM system itself by going in to (Settings- > Administration -> Security roles) and see if these are restored correctly or not?
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:53 AM
    Answerer