New hardware & disk config, are all my old backups lost? RRS feed

• Question

• Everyone.
      I've spent a few days going through searches here and I think I know the answer to this... but I sure hope I am wrong.

I had a Windows Home Server install running on a Shuttle KPC K45 that was humming along wonderfully until the motherboard blew up... I think heat was the issue.  I've gotten a new Dell Optiplex 760 to install my WHS onto, and an external USB enclosure to house all my drives (except the 160GB internal to the Dell, which will be the system drive) and I've installed WHS with my old drives un-attached.  I have read that the proper way to re-install and keep your data is to have everything hooked up and install WHS and you should see a Reinstall option, which I am not getting.  I assume that I'm not getting this option because the disk order is totally different.  Is there ANY way to recover my old backups?  I don't really care about my shares so much, I can get to that data, but my backups may contain photos of my children when they were babies, and I (we) really want to get those back if at all possible!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:23 AM

Answers

• WHS Backup is not thought as archiving solution that much, since it is seen as redundant to existing PCs. So a once corrupted, the backup database is usually lost.
    But since you have still all old drives (intact?, which is not really clear, if the board blew up) you can try to get all files from D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on the system disk (several of them may be tombstones which cannot be copied, but should be found on the other drives in the hidden folder DE under folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. So only those files which cannot be found on the DATA disks should be taken from the old system disk.
    On the new server open a cmd prompt, type the commands
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

and copy the files to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} after deleting any newer backups which you may have here already.
    This alone may not work as expected, since there are also some registry keys necessary for the system to know, which machines are included in these backup files.
    (See the notes in the WHS Backup Database Backup thread.) I assume (without any warranty!) the needed keys are stored in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients], which can be found in D:\folders\{378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276}\whs.reg on the old D: drive. Never import the entire reg file, since this will transfer all configuration and therefore make the new server unusable.
    After completing reboot the server.

Using an USB enclosure for the storage pool is to often not a good idea with single disks (as several users experienced in the past), leave alone multiple disks in one enclosure. Such a configuration cries not only for performance issues, but also for enhanced risk, that all data drives included here fall out of the storage pool in the same moment.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:06 PM

All replies

• WHS Backup is not thought as archiving solution that much, since it is seen as redundant to existing PCs. So a once corrupted, the backup database is usually lost.
    But since you have still all old drives (intact?, which is not really clear, if the board blew up) you can try to get all files from D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} on the system disk (several of them may be tombstones which cannot be copied, but should be found on the other drives in the hidden folder DE under folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. So only those files which cannot be found on the DATA disks should be taken from the old system disk.
    On the new server open a cmd prompt, type the commands
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

and copy the files to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} after deleting any newer backups which you may have here already.
    This alone may not work as expected, since there are also some registry keys necessary for the system to know, which machines are included in these backup files.
    (See the notes in the WHS Backup Database Backup thread.) I assume (without any warranty!) the needed keys are stored in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients], which can be found in D:\folders\{378AE094-F4CA-4D9B-BDA5-649D6F738276}\whs.reg on the old D: drive. Never import the entire reg file, since this will transfer all configuration and therefore make the new server unusable.
    After completing reboot the server.

Using an USB enclosure for the storage pool is to often not a good idea with single disks (as several users experienced in the past), leave alone multiple disks in one enclosure. Such a configuration cries not only for performance issues, but also for enhanced risk, that all data drives included here fall out of the storage pool in the same moment.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Thanks Olaf!  I'll certainly try moving things around and see what happens.  All the disks are good as far as I'm able to tell at this point, I have them all powered up and can copy files from them (my old media files).  I'll post my findings after I migrate some backups, and then perhaps add some registry entries.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 11:33 PM
  • So just a little update since I've been reading the mediasmartserver.net web page, I found an article that looks a lot like what you were directing me to do Olaf.  Find the page here:  http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Migrate_Shares_and_Backups_to_New_System  on this page it lists the registry entries that need to be migrated over.  I'll start moving my data now that I know exactly what parts of the reg files I need to move into the new server.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:20 PM