Tracking e-mails in CRM using Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've notice the following:

- The reply of a tracked e-mail gets automatically tracked in CRM if the user has the the Personal settting: "Check incoming e-mail in Outlook and determine whether an e-mail should be linked and saved as a Microsoft Dynamics CRM records" checked.

- If you move the incoming e-mail before the system recognizes as tracked in CRM to a subforder, that e-mail never gets tracked in CRM.

- If you move that e-mail back to Inbox, that e-mail never gets tracked in CRM.

In conclusion, you have to leave the incoming e-mail in the inbox folder, then it gets recognized as tracked after few minutes.

Just to help: I am not using the token and I am using the smart filter.

Is there any way to configure CRM to also search int the subfolders?

Thanks

Emerson

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:34 AM

Answers

• Yes, I think you can.

The E-mail Router either monitors users mailboxes directly or a forward mailbox. Using a forward mailbox is my recommendation. If you do this you must deploy a forwarding rule to the user's mailbox that send incoming e-mails to the forward mailbox as an attachment. The E-mail Router monitors the forward mailbox and decides whether each e-mail should be tracked in CRM or not. After examining each e-mail, the E-mail Router deletes the e-mail from the forward mailbox.

If you do use the forward mailbox then e-mails should be tracked into CRM even if the user moves to them a sub-folder. If the user has a rule to automatically move e-mails to a sub-folder make sure that the moving rule is listed below the CRM forwarding rule.

The Dynamics CRM 2011 Implementation Guide has some information on the e-mail router, as does the official Microsoft course, 80296.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:24 AM

All replies

• I don't think there is. Are you using the E-mail Router to monitor incoming e-mails?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Feridun.

No, I am not. I am still not sure the reason to install and configure the E-mail Router on the server.

Haven't found many documentations online about it.

Can I achieve that installing the E-mail Router and Mail Forward?

Thanks.

Emerson

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Yes, I think you can.

The E-mail Router either monitors users mailboxes directly or a forward mailbox. Using a forward mailbox is my recommendation. If you do this you must deploy a forwarding rule to the user's mailbox that send incoming e-mails to the forward mailbox as an attachment. The E-mail Router monitors the forward mailbox and decides whether each e-mail should be tracked in CRM or not. After examining each e-mail, the E-mail Router deletes the e-mail from the forward mailbox.

If you do use the forward mailbox then e-mails should be tracked into CRM even if the user moves to them a sub-folder. If the user has a rule to automatically move e-mails to a sub-folder make sure that the moving rule is listed below the CRM forwarding rule.

The Dynamics CRM 2011 Implementation Guide has some information on the e-mail router, as does the official Microsoft course, 80296.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:24 AM
  • Thanks very much.

Emerson

Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:12 AM