"Enterprise Standard Calendars are needed" message displays when i save an old project plan from Project Professional to Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• May be this is a very basic question but making me bit confused. My boss given me some project plans (ppt files) to create and publish it on PWA. What i do is to first save it in Project 2010 then i login with my EPM account on Project 2010 and press save button to save it on for Project Server (b4 publish), when i do this following message displays in the window.

"Enterprise Standard Calendars are needed........ This may result in changes in scheduled dates. Do you want to continue?"

And when i do YES, the schedule gets disturbed... all the dates get changed....

Problem is that i don't understand it behavior. I am using a single standard calendar on Project Server and all the project plans given to me are also following a single standard calendar.

Maaz Ibrahim

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:32 AM

Answers

• Problem is that i don't understand it behavior. I am using a single standard calendar on Project Server and all the project plans given to me are also following a single standard calendar.

Hi Maaz,

the projects you've been give are local projects. Each of those projects has a standard project calendar, which likely has changes like national holidays, corporate holidays (e.g. firm is closed between christmas and new year), etc.

On the server, there also is a server standard calendar that also may or may not have had those changes, or just some of them.

Now, when you save the project and project server is set not to allow local base calendars (PWA/Server Settings/Operational Policies/Additional Server Settings/Allow project to us local base calendars), then this popup you mentioned will appear and as result, the local project calendar will be replace with the project server standard calendar. If those are different, then dates get changed (more or less holidays).

The easy workaround is to allow the use of these local base calendars (PWA/Server Settings/Operational Policies/Additional Server Settings/Allow project to us local base calendars, restart client). The actual solution is to sit down and check local project calendars, check the server base calendars and either create new server calendars to use in these imported projects or change the projects so that the schedule fits with the new calendar.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Maaz:

If you use the Import Project to Enterprise Wizard, you can correct all of these issues in the import process.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:41 AM

All replies

• Problem is that i don't understand it behavior. I am using a single standard calendar on Project Server and all the project plans given to me are also following a single standard calendar.

Hi Maaz,

the projects you've been give are local projects. Each of those projects has a standard project calendar, which likely has changes like national holidays, corporate holidays (e.g. firm is closed between christmas and new year), etc.

On the server, there also is a server standard calendar that also may or may not have had those changes, or just some of them.

Now, when you save the project and project server is set not to allow local base calendars (PWA/Server Settings/Operational Policies/Additional Server Settings/Allow project to us local base calendars), then this popup you mentioned will appear and as result, the local project calendar will be replace with the project server standard calendar. If those are different, then dates get changed (more or less holidays).

The easy workaround is to allow the use of these local base calendars (PWA/Server Settings/Operational Policies/Additional Server Settings/Allow project to us local base calendars, restart client). The actual solution is to sit down and check local project calendars, check the server base calendars and either create new server calendars to use in these imported projects or change the projects so that the schedule fits with the new calendar.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:10 PM
  • Maaz:

If you use the Import Project to Enterprise Wizard, you can correct all of these issues in the import process.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:41 AM