One Care live fails to complete the antivirus check on files..... RRS feed

• Question

•  

Steve,

I have also encountered the same problems as referenced here by other users with OneCare not completing the antivirus check on files. My system has been running for more than 9 hours and OneCare never completed the scan, I have tried this several times with the same results.. When the last major update in early December down loaded to my system was when this issue started. Not only does OneCare fail to complete the check, but there is more tham a 30 to 60 second delay in opening any program, not to mention that Microsoft Outlook locks constantly since this down load was processed.

I removed and re-installed OneCare three times and this issue is still present. Maybe Microsoft should go back to the version prior to December, at least we were some what protected when it was functioning correctly. I look forward to a resolution soon, if not I may have to goto another source for anti-spy-ware and for protection on my system and home network.

Please post or email if you or the service team comes up with a solution to this issue.

Thanks,

William

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 3:15 PM

Answers

• Have a look at this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2 - and see if this resolves the problem for you. As you can see in the forums, there are quite a few people reporting the very slow scans and this fix seems to solve it for many. The OneCare team is working to identify any other causes of this problem and will update the code as needed. They are working with the antimalware team, who is responsible for the engine and definitions, too.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• Have a look at this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2008959&SiteID=2 - and see if this resolves the problem for you. As you can see in the forums, there are quite a few people reporting the very slow scans and this fix seems to solve it for many. The OneCare team is working to identify any other causes of this problem and will update the code as needed. They are working with the antimalware team, who is responsible for the engine and definitions, too.

-steve

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Steve,

I disabled the peer-to-peer settings as was mentioned in the posts you sent and that has freed up my memory and allowed OneCare to operate normally. My only concern is what other effects will this have on other programs that are on my system, and what is Microsoft doing to correct this issue when it was never a problem since I started using OneCare when it was still in it's Beta stage.

The same issue that happened on my main PC did not happen on my laptop and I pretty much have mirrored programs on both due to school and work.

Let me know if the problem is corrected or there is any future update due to these problems alot of people have been having.

Thanks,

William S

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Glad to read that this resolved the problem for you. I honestly don't know why this service is enabled on some PCs and not on others for networking, but it generally isn't needed, so disabling it will have no detrimental effect. The problem will probably be fixed in a future release, either by dealing with whatever causes the conflict or by OneCare disabling the service on its own.

-steve

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 11:58 PM