Could Not Find Part of the Path - Failed WHS Back up of Shared Drive RRS feed

• Question

• When back up shared files to a SATA Hard Drive I encountered the message below.  It should also be noted that I can't delete the folder.  I'm stuck how do I proceed? 

The folder that causes the problem can have files addes to it and I can see the files.  It's very strange behavior. 

Backing up  to  BACK UP
    Backing up Music...
    Backing up Photos...
    Failed to process file Photos\2002 DC  : Could not find a part of the path 'D:\shares\Photos\2002 DC'.
    7946 unchanged files linked from the last backup to save space

Any clues?

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• When back up shared files to a SATA Hard Drive I encountered the message below.  It should also be noted that I can't delete the folder.  I'm stuck how do I proceed? 

The folder that causes the problem can have files addes to it and I can see the files.  It's very strange behavior. 

Backing up  to  BACK UP
    Backing up Music...
    Backing up Photos...
    Failed to process file Photos\2002 DC  : Could not find a part of the path 'D:\shares\Photos\2002 DC'.
    7946 unchanged files linked from the last backup to save space

Any clues? 

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:24 AM
  • I'm seeing the same behavior.  When I attempt to backup my WHS to a USB drive (SATA 2TB), I get the "could not find part of the path<path>" error (the folder is in my "photos" shared folder - D drive). I have run chkdsk every way I know how (using D: (my DE data drive) and running it individually on each listing in C:/fs).  

Same behavior as mwreeves - I am unable to delete the folder using Windows Explorer (error: "Cannot delete file: Connot read from the source file or disk").  I tried rmdir using cmd and got this error - "The system cannot find the file specified" (I'm probably using rmdir wrong - my DOS skills are sketchy at best).  

When I look at the offending folder's properties, the folder's size is shown as "0 bytes".  The folder contains 7 jpg files and each photo can be opened using "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".  

Any ideas how to get this folder to behave and get backed up?  

System Details

HP MediaSmart EX470

Software Version:  3.3.1.35433 - 2/3/2010 SJ0302101602

BIOS Version: R02 7/13/2007

4 drives (in order, bottom to top) - 1.5TB, 2TB, 1TB, 1.5TB

Backup Drive - 2TB SATA

Chris J
    Monday, October 11, 2010 3:10 AM
  • i have the same problem. Did you ever found a solution?
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:03 AM
  • No sir.  In fact, the files that were apparently causing this error are kinda immovable (I get various error messages when trying to move them).  I've just moved on.  My plan is to get a good copy of the files I want and do a reinstall of WHS in hopes I can exorcise this demon.  
    Chris J
    Monday, February 28, 2011 5:12 AM