Cannot mount backup Failed with IOCTL_BACKUPREADER_MOUNT_VOLUME RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I try and restore a file, I get the above message. I have posted a case at Connect, but have received no updated tech response so far. I have searched through similar reports here but have not seen a case like mine. I looked at the MountBackup.log in talq.zip and I think I have discovered the source of the error:

MountedRestoreHelper::CreateVolume() - Success with IOCTL_BACKUPREADER_CREATE_VOLUME,  volumeID=0
    OnProgress: UI progress = 80%
    Driver transition (created RW volume) OK
    Mounting Read/Write volume
    MountedRestoreHelper::Mount() - Failed with IOCTL_BACKUPREADER_MOUNT_VOLUME IOCTL, 1006
    ERROR: Mounting()

I have tried a number of things:
    1. Uninstalled and reinstalled WHS Connector
    2. Disabled firewall
    3. There is no drive mapped to Z: Some time back I did have an NAS (which I no longer have) that was mapped to Z. But now I can map a drive there, if I wish.
    4. Used Backup Cleanup and Database Repair to no effect.
    5. Three is no space in my Administrator password. (password did not need to be changed)

My client is Vista Ultimate. I had been running WHS SP2, however I was told by Connector to install SP3 beta if I wanted further help. I have done so without effect. I have found that it is only on this one machine that I have the problem. I think the problem is related to that software driver that installs after you open the backup volume that is to be restored. So, I have tried deleting (through) the storage volume that is created and letting it be reinstalled. However, I have gotten no messages that ask for reinstallation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:30 PM

All replies

• Whenever I try and restore a file, I get the above message. I have posted a case at Connect, but have received no updated tech response so far. I have searched through similar reports here but have not seen a case like mine. I looked at the MountBackup.log in talq.zip and I think I have discovered the source of the error:

MountedRestoreHelper::CreateVolume() - Success with IOCTL_BACKUPREADER_CREATE_VOLUME,  volumeID=0
    OnProgress: UI progress = 80%
    Driver transition (created RW volume) OK
    Mounting Read/Write volume
    MountedRestoreHelper::Mount() - Failed with IOCTL_BACKUPREADER_MOUNT_VOLUME IOCTL, 1006
    ERROR: Mounting()

I have tried a number of things:
    1. Uninstalled and reinstalled WHS Connector
    2. Disabled firewall
    3. There is no drive mapped to Z: Some time back I did have an NAS (which I no longer have) that was mapped to Z. But now I can map a drive there, if I wish.
    4. Used Backup Cleanup and Database Repair to no effect.
    5. Three is no space in my Administrator password. (password did not need to be changed)

My client is Vista Ultimate. I had been running WHS SP2, however I was told by Connector to install SP3 beta if I wanted further help. I have done so without effect. I have found that it is only on this one machine that I have the problem. I think the problem is related to that software driver that installs after you open the backup volume that is to be restored. So, I have tried deleting (through) the storage volume that is created and letting it be reinstalled. However, I have gotten no messages that ask for reinstallation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Although it seems unlikely to help in your scenario, you might try runnng chkdsk /r on the hard drive in your client...
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Well you were right . . . running chkdsk did not change anything. It seems clear that I am going to need MS tech support to resolve this. Unfortunately I have been left in limbo -- they have made no further replies. I asked if they were going to work with my issue or not, and no reply at all. This is really a horrible situation to be in. Thanks for your reply.
    Monday, August 3, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Well you were right . . . running chkdsk did not change anything. It seems clear that I am going to need MS tech support to resolve this. Unfortunately I have been left in limbo -- they have made no further replies. I asked if they were going to work with my issue or not, and no reply at all. This is really a horrible situation to be in. Thanks for your reply.

Do you have another client you can try to restore from?
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 4:13 AM
  • The issue is not the need the need to restore right now, but the need to have WHS working on my primary computer. Thanks for your reply.
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 7:46 PM