WHS installed from trial - PLEASE READ RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS from the MS site trial edition but never activated it. I realized right away I was going to keep using it and ordered a legit copy. SO....even tho I've had the install discs for days, I've not found the time to do the reinstall and it's complaining about activation. I have 5 days remaining to activate. Anyway, here's my question: Can I use the product code (activation code) from the legit CD's I bought to do the activation and not have to do the OS reinstall?? Or should I just take the time now to reinstall? I'd really like to avoid the hassle of user and share recreation if I can.
    Thanks
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:51 PM

Answers

• I installed WHS from the MS site trial edition but never activated it. I realized right away I was going to keep using it and ordered a legit copy. SO....even tho I've had the install discs for days, I've not found the time to do the reinstall and it's complaining about activation. I have 5 days remaining to activate. Anyway, here's my question: Can I use the product code (activation code) from the legit CD's I bought to do the activation and not have to do the OS reinstall?? Or should I just take the time now to reinstall? I'd really like to avoid the hassle of user and share recreation if I can.
    Thanks

Please see this FAQ. You cannot enter your full copy PID into the eval install as the eval has a time bomb hard coded into the OS.  If you try to use the full copy PID, activation will fail.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

Thanks

Please see this FAQ. You cannot enter your full copy PID into the eval install as the eval has a time bomb hard coded into the OS.  If you try to use the full copy PID, activation will fail.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:15 PM
  • AARRGG! Bummer.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:38 PM
  • How do I get a full copy of this software? Microsoft Pre-sales tells me I can't order it (full version), it must come from an OEM. All there is on the web site is the choice to order the 120-day trial disks. You go to the OEM sites and they want to sell you a server with the software...

I already have a rack server from Dell with (2) 2.1GHz quad-core processors and (3) 1.5TB SATA drives we are no longer using for the office. I want to install the Windows Home Server OS and not have to screw around with a time-bomb killing everything I've already done. I have 400+ DVD's, 350 LD's, and 2 iTunes libraries (one with 17,000+ songs, the other with 10,000+ classical) I want to install on this server.

It really seems that Microsoft does NOT want this software to succeed if they make it so difficult to buy it.

Help!!!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Did you check Amazon, NewEgg, or Directron in the USA? Or e-tailers in your part of the world?

Note also that Windows Home Server is not available as a software-only package in retail channels. It's only available as a system builder software package (which comes with no free support except online community support) or as part of a software/hardware package from OEMs such as e.g. HP and Acer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Does the MSDN download have the 120-day time bomb in it? Or is it like the rest of the MSDN software? Just wondering as it was that way initially and I can't find anything on it now in the database...
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:20 PM
  • MSDN has a full version now. It is not a trial, however it is mainly meant for developers to use. I'm sure the terms somewhere say not to use it for production systems.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:21 PM