Windows Home Server Embedded for OEM Partners RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello All! 

I'm working for an IT Company! We are on a tender where we need to make Windows Home Servers and because of Embedded version of Windows Home Server our responsibility to make Server Recovery DVD.
    Now the problem is with this recovery, I have a lot of question about this from how-to work to how-can I create a program with those DLL-s from the OPK documentation.

My steps:

I made my master sevrer fully installed with OOBE, I changed registry setting and then sysprepped and i want to make from this machine an image. I made my own small LAN in my office so there isn't anything else just the WHS and the "Technician PC" with a Router.
    I Sysprep the WHS then I make my own WinPE USB Disk as shown in OPK documentation.
    I integrate just the LAN drivers what is working because I see on the router the IP what was given dynamically. So I boot from USB Pendrive and the server will be in listener mode.
    I have screenshots but I can't insert it, so on the technician PC I run the WHS_Image.exe (WHS_Image-exe /I D:\RECOVERY (optional /S <IP>)what is broadcasting the network and gives an answer that "Unable to locate a home server". I know exactly what kind of drivers I gave to the WinPE flash disk, and I see the IP on router so what is the problem. This is an Intel motherboard, I checked with a Foxconn miniITX motherboard, also the same problem. That was the first problem, but I resolved it, I made a WinPE DVD with ImageX integrated so I made a .wim file, (I have the image that's great) now comes my favourite problem.

We need to make some resolution to Enable users to boot from the Windows PE Image. I copy the WinPE image what I was used on the listener mode then I need to wrote an application what is communicating with the USB flash key listener mode and I can restore the image (the .wim file what I were created with ImageX) on the local are network, but HOW can I do this when the listener mode doesn't working and I don't know what is the problem? Besides how can I write a Visual Basic application to use those DLL-s given with OPK CD without any Visual Basic knowns? Could somebody please help me because I have no chance to resolve this problem without help and I see that here is a great team. So anybody knows other companies how does they resolved these problem or anybody else who wrote the recovery program? (I know that HP is resolved the Server Recovery but I can't use their recovery solution) Thanks a lot, I'm waiting for discussion.

Imre Veres from Hungary

Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• Imre, just about everybody here is an enthusiast who has installed Windows Home Server on their own hardware, much as a system builder would. So we haven't (mostly) gone through the OEM preinstallation process other than maybe as an experiment. (This includes me, BTW.) In addition, as an OEM partner you should have access to resources at Microsoft that we don't. Probably you'll get better assistance through the OEM Partner web site and forums and your account manager.

Now, as to your problems. The communications problem I would try to solve by connecting the server and technician computer with a switch, or just a crossover cable. Then I would set the technician computer to the IP address 192.168.10.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and reboot both, putting the server into recovery mode. If that works (you can establish communications in that mode) then you know that the issue was likely the router you were using.

As for creating the restore application, the version of the OPK that I have has a small amount of sample code in C, but no Visual Basic. Also, there's no requirement that you use Visual Basic to create the application, as far as I know. Any programming language that you prefer that is capable of loading the supplied DLL and calling the APIs contained within is going to be suitable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Hello Ken, thank you for your reply, I appreciate that a lot! Yeah I know that, this isn't an OEM channel but in this case I don't know what can I do. I already made these steps, I changed the router (configured also MTU if the packet size is the problem), I used just a switch with 2 patch cables and crossower cable between the two PC-s configured without DG just IP with SM. Rebooted thousands of times, made my own WinPE. I reinstalled WHS and I installed another PC with Vista Business. If I found a solution I will let everybody know what was the answer.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:26 PM
  • So you were unable to establish communication with the server when there was no DHCP server and the technician computer was configured with a static IP address in the same subnet that the recovery application boots in? Remember that in recovery mode the server, without DHCP, will come up with the static IP address 192.168.10.10 (per the OPK documentation I have). That's why I was specific as to the IP address to use for the technician computer; APIPA is not helpful in this case.

I do recommend you contact your account manager and ask in the partner forums (which I don't have access to).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 2:54 PM