Money 2005 UK. ? Change share price and quantity without messing up the history. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have an investment bond which for over a decade has kept the share units to 3.773.50 with a price growing from  £2.750 each  to £3.990 each. The investment company has decided to update the investments and have now increased the quantity of shares and reduced their individual price. to arrive at the same value as the day before. When I attempted to Edit the qty and price in the investment details this brought about the correct value but showed a massive overall loss due to the new share price of around £1.080.

How do I change the qty and price while keeping the history correct? 

Many thanks.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:56 PM

All replies

• I think the UK Money investment types are Bond, Cash Unit Trust, Index, Managed Fund, Other, Savings Bond and Stocks. I think I would make this a Managed Fund. Maybe somebody will have a different suggestion.

To represent the recent increase in number of shares , I would enter a ReinvestDividend or ReinvestCapitalGains (may be different choices in the UK version). That transaction will set a price point. A ReinvestXyz transaction works the same as doing an Xyz transaction followed by a Buy transaction of the same value.

To enter a price for a different point in time, go to the investment (right click any reference) and select UpdatePrices in the left column.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 5:27 PM
  • In Portfolio Manager, Record a special activity, Record a split.

Enter the split ratio and the cost will be assigned pro rata to the new units.

If the units are listed, there will be a different stock symbol for the new units.

Thank you for your replies, sorry but I got a little lost with Cals' suggestion.

I have tried the suggestion from Dominic and sort of got a result, the problem was that I cannot enter the exact numbers of shares in the two boxes.

The shares have gone from 3773.8565 to 10803.1051 but I can only enter 3773 and 10803 which then leaves the "Account Value" different from the value shown against the shares qty and price. (I am probably not explaining this correctly.) This figure also seems to remove the £ and % gains I have made over the last 13 years. At the moment I have restored a backup to just before I started changing the figures so am back as I was showing a gain of 38.41% and the monetary equivalent. If it is not possible to do what I need to I may well change it to a savings account and just manually make gains or losses to the account which may be simpler if not as informative. Is there something I am missing or need to do?

• Edited by AJW1100 Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:53 PM Typo
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:50 PM
  • The shares have gone from 3773.8565 to 10803.1051

You can split the shares 3063 shares for every 1070 shares. The error factor is a negligible 0.619114093325379 parts per Billion.

I would not do it that way. It does make for a smooth price chart, however.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Hi Cal.

Thank you, that sorted the problem perfectly :-)

Many thanks

Alan.

Sunday, December 16, 2012 11:38 AM