Cannot Connect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Just recently got my self a new home server, and it is starting to give me a headache lol

It has started to become unresponsive.

I cannot connect to my network drives, the icon in the task bar says "not connected to server", i cannot see it in my list of network items.

But when i ping it it works fine and i get a response straight away!

The only way to reconnect and to get it working again is to hard reset the router.

They all have A realtek 8168/8111 PCI-e network card, with a D'Link 655 router

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on all the other machines.

Anyone have nay idea's

Cheers
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:14 AM

Answers

• I have read people mentioning fixing network trouble in context with Jumbo frames in the past one or two times, so yes, this could be a reason.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by cnewton2k Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:35 AM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    if a reset of the router fixes the problem, I would assume, that the problem is on the router side. In this situation it would be recommendable to check first, if there is a more recent firmware available for the router.
    If there isn't or if the firmware upgrade does not help, check the cabling. Try also to connect the server to another port or use a separate switch instead of the one, which is built in to the router.
    You could also try to upgrade the network card drivers in the client PCs and the server and test, if the situation improves, if you disable Autonegotiation for the network speed in the properties of the network card and instead select a value, which is supported by both the software and hardware. Be aware, if your server is headless (no VGA out), that choosing wrong settings here may effectively disconnect the server from the network, which can only be fixed by performing a server reinstall.
    Olaf
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Hi

The above should of said "the only was to fix it is to hard reboot the server"

Will try some of things you have said.

I also had the Jumbo frame on all PC set to 9K would that cause problems like this?

Cheers
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 8:11 PM
  • I have read people mentioning fixing network trouble in context with Jumbo frames in the past one or two times, so yes, this could be a reason.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by cnewton2k Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:35 AM
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:28 PM